FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MM + Elevator EXP + HOMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
cameroncollet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession MM + Elevator EXP + HOMC
    Posted: 18 May 2022 at 6:31pm
Searched but didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Question is the thread title, can the Elevator EXP be used with a high output moving coil cartridge?

I know it's rated for .2 - .8 mV and the Hana SH is 2.0 mV.

My specific issue is vinyl recording. Currently with the gain on both my ADC and the Accession maxed the table is recordable, but I don't have any play for adjustment. My hope is to add the Elevator EXP, and to lower the gain on both other devices. Then use the Accession gain dial to fine tune.

Setup:

Hana SH, Rega Planar 8, Accession MM, RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE, VinylStudio

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:14pm
Don't need an elevator for a Hana SH.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:28pm
The Elevator can take a substantially greater input than 2mV. However, the resulting output would then overdrive the Accession on transients and distort badly.

The output from the Accession MM for 2mV input is approx. 240mV rms, usually sufficient for the inputs of most domestic preamps, receivers and integrated amplifiers.

The most sensitive setting on your ADC is 616mV rms if that's -2dBu. If not dBu then it requires more than 616mV. It's a professional ADC.

Either way, it's a mismatch between equipment, and the only place to add gain is between the Accession and the ADC. Placing gain before it is asking for trouble.

The remaining option is to use a cartridge outputting greater than 5mV.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:34pm
@Chris - if I was just listening on speakers, then I would totally agree. I did use it just fine with my living room setup during initial table setup/adjustment. It was a bit on the low side (volume need a few extra notches), but workable.

But the output in VinylStudio doesn't seem to agree. ADC => Max Gain, Accession => Max Gain. VinylStudio is showing it just under the levels of my old turntable, with no room for adjustment. The perk of having a gain adjustment on the Phono is pretty useless if I have to have it maxed. The ADI-2 has multiple gain steps on the input, meaning I can step it down quite a bit to adjust for the increase from the Elevator.

But, will HOMC + Elevator into the Accession MM cause issues?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cameroncollet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 7:39pm
@GrahamSlee THANK YOU! Exactly what I wanted to know.

If that's the case I may just swap to a low output cartridge with the elevator. But in that case would I still run into an issue of low input into the recording? 😮‍💨

Don't want to drop on the SL or ML if I'm just going to jump back into the same hole.

Also I'm still really new to the sperate phono. Would changing the loading switches on the back of the Accession MM effect the output level?

Edit: it just clicked that the mismatch you were talking about is probably the Accession and the ADI-2 Pro... can you recommend a type of device that will help me correct? 

Edited by cameroncollet - 18 May 2022 at 7:48pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:41pm
Do you have a "preamp" output on the amplifier you use with speakers?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 8:58pm
I have a Hana SH, and it gave enough output to kick the input of my recorder into clipping on peaks, which is something you want to avoid.
In my case I made an attenuation pad with help and a few suggestions from Graham.

Once you've got the non clipping recording you can post process it to higher levels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic