FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Phono Cartridge Connections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 6:28pm
Nice shot Graham.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 7:06pm
David
 I have just looked at your diagram picture and I now know how a mate made his mistake, He admitted he was looking at it for quit a while before he saw what he had done. At the time I asked him if he was colour blind but now I can see who easy it was for him to of made the mistake. Graham's picture well that's even worse.

Edited by lfc jon - 24 Mar 2022 at 7:07pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 7:49pm
What else has a similar output to a magnetic cartridge?

A dynamic microphone!

Now, they're not used as much these days, but if we look at a good quality low output microphone - the sort used on stage, where there's loads of interference from lighting units, and thousands of mobile phones - how do they keep them so quiet from interference with such long cables?

Could it be they're fully encapsulated in a Faraday cage and Faraday shield, as well as being able to be connected to a differential input?

Yes, that's right.

Now, try and fully encapsulate a phono cartridge in a Faraday shield and/or cage. Is it possible?

(answer = no)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 9:35am
Actually, there is a way to surround the cartridge signal in a Faraday cage or shield, but I doubt the free gift I'm about to offer will ever be taken up.

The motor board and a hinged cover can become a Faraday cage.

The motor and motor control circuitry would all have to be under the motor board. So, for example, the Technics would need a sub-platter drive underneath rather than being direct.

The lid would have to make 100% electrical contact with the motor board, and be in the form of a Faraday cage door.

The arm could then be made out of any substance you like, as the transducer (cartridge) and signal wires would be all encompassed like an incredibly large microphone body - of a different shape!

The signal would exit like it does from any other shielded enclosure source, and be connected to the phono stage by coax, and nobody could ever be an arse anymore, and we could get on with our job in peace.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic