FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Interconnect BS vs Science

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:18pm
I rewired my SME series IV with silver wire internally and it does sound good. My other cables are all stranded copper and sound great too. Cost and common sense come into this, much as Kevin said.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:27pm
I've bought and constructed a number of cables. The 0.6 and 1m Cusat50's are the best I've heard which is why I keep buying them. Using chokes to damp cable reflections and standing waves at problem frequencies makes sense to me and I respect the science Graham has used for this.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:21pm
Silver a better conductor than copper? For electronics, the frequency vs impedance relationship is of greater consequence than DC efficiency. Would be interesting to see the relationship for each material displayed graphically so that the materials can be compared.

More free electrons means higher electrical conductivity, not higher signal fidelity. The resistivity of both is in the same order of magnitude and really quite close so...

Edited by Ash - 06 Mar 2022 at 8:30pm
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:41pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:46pm
I'm getting confused here, when talking about which material (metal) to use are we talking about the inside of the cable or the RCA plug that goes into the HiFi box? as all Graham's cables have gold plugs.
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:54pm
Good question, so we know which bit we are talking about. In my post I am talking about the conductors in the cable, particularly the core that runs down the middle.

Jon

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 8:55pm
The cable material itself. For the terminations, gold-plating is favoured for corrosion/oxidation resistance to maintain high electrical conductivity.

If we were trying to connect equipment with the most conductive material, we would be looking at superconductors. No, not silver; silver is not actually a superconductor. A true superconductor has a resistivity much closer to zero Ohms and requires very low temperatures close to absolute zero (zero Kelvin) and, it seems, very high pressure, to allow free electron trajectory to be as direct as possible within an ultra-pure perfectly organized lattice structure.

Edited by Ash - 06 Mar 2022 at 9:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic