FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Ripping DVD, Blu-Ray

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ripping DVD, Blu-Ray
    Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 8:02pm
Is there a difference between ripping a CD and DVD, Blu-Ray. I'm only asking after I was ripping some CDs today and I thought what about my video collection on disk as why I'm doing it for my CDs I should be doing the same for films. As most of the regulars on this forum know I'm not good with computers but I do know they will take up more space on a disk drive so I will have to get a new SSD, Plus I don't wont films on the same SSD as my music as I still (maybe) have plans for computer audio. One more thing, Is a SSD drive better than a HDD I'm presuming it is if only for speed
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:44am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Is there a difference between ripping a CD and DVD, Blu-Ray. I'm only asking after I was ripping some CDs today and I thought what about my video collection on disk as why I'm doing it for my CDs I should be doing the same for films. As most of the regulars on this forum know I'm not good with computers but I do know they will take up more space on a disk drive so I will have to get a new SSD, Plus I don't wont films on the same SSD as my music as I still (maybe) have plans for computer audio. One more thing, Is a SSD drive better than a HDD I'm presuming it is if only for speed

In some ways, yes, in other ways no.

It is possible to back up DVDs and BR discs using software such as Handbrake, MakeMKV, NCH, and others out there. These programs do have a bit more of a learning curve than CD ripping programs and typically take more time to rip each disc due to the amount of data involved. For example, a DVD can have say 8 GB of data on it. A BR disc can have 45 GB or more. Especially if you are ripping BR discs, you will need high capacity storage to store that much data.

Note that I am talking about movies on DVD and BR. If it's just the audio you're after, that's a different deal.

Now, re: SSD vs. HDD they do work differently. When you start getting up to high capacity storage SSD becomes more and more expensive to the point where it's not really feasible. For example, a 4TB SSD can cost $400-600. By comparison a 4TB commercial grade SSD is $150. If you're like me and use 2 cloned drives double those costs.

That is why I have my PC OS on SSD and use HDDs for backup. The SSD does boot up very fast, but otherwise offers no real advantage IME. Currently I have two cloned 6TB drives in a docking station. The reason one is a clone of the other is to prevent the unfortunate event of one failing. As another backup, I have a cloud emergency backup service that costs a few dollars a month for unlimited data.

The company I use has a server farm and like many server farms they use commercial grade HDDs (an inordinate amount of them in server racks). They keep stats on what model and brand drives are the most reliable. All drives get changed out every few years. Most serious server farms do the same thing. For home use, don't expect any drive to last forever. None of them do. Generally speaking commercial grade HDDs made for NAS systems are more reliable than cheaper consumer grade HDDs. They are more expensive though.

Note that technology is always changing with this stuff. 20 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of the storage capacity I have now. In a few years very high capacity SSD storage may be more feasible and affordable.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:42pm
David
Thanks for the in depth info. I had the feeling there was more to it. As for time to rip a DVD, Blu- Ray I did anticipate it would take more time. I don't have many Video disks so storage is not that big a concern, Most of what I have on disk is either film or stuff on football (Liverpool. f. c) No music. A lot of films are old stuff like Blade Runner, Bullitt, The Crow, The last film I bought was Blade Runner 2049 and that got me back into the cinema after not going to one for over 20 years, This film I had watched trailers and reading reviews and I was impressed, before that I did wont to see Mad Max (the newest one) but that didn't impress me what so ever and I still think the first one is the best, I'm afraid that Hollywood got hold of it and ruined it IMO. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
To put things in perspective, it took about 45 minutes or me to rip one movie Blu-Ray. I can rip a CD in 3 minutes or less usually with dBPoweramp. The BR discs just have way more data on them.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 8:41pm
I also use dbPoweramp. I found it vary easy to use, all be it with some help from this forum.
I didn't realise it would take that long to rip a Blu-Ray.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 9:08pm
Yeah, CD is about 10MB/min so only about 700MB per disc. (Uncompressed)

Edited by Ash - 24 Jan 2022 at 9:10pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 10:38pm
Am I misguided to want to create a dedicated (not shared with anything else) and low-noise (5V linear power supplied) connection between my computer and my disc drive for ripping? Would it even make any difference whatsoever... USB or SATA3 interface; which one is best? I feel like this is one rabbit hole that will never end and any imagined problems are just that: imaginary. Thinking of getting a USB PCIe card to experiment.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic