FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MM/MC vs high end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Knekten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knekten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accession MM/MC vs high end
    Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 11:13pm
Hi all,

Have anyone had the opportunity to compare the Accession MM or MC with something "a bit pricier" like EAR Yoshino 88P or Icon Audio PS3 Mk II which both can handle MM and MC and have volume control? I bought the Accession MM 2017 and just love it. I have the feeling it punches well above its price, therefore the question.

/Knekten30
Isotek Aquarius, Isotek Elite, Thorens TD124, Audiomods Series 6, Cartridgeman Music Master, Accession MM, Lautus, Proprius or Quad 606 Mk II, Spatia, Harbeth C7ES-3 40th Anniversary.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Knekten Knekten wrote:

Hi all,

Have anyone had the opportunity to compare the Accession MM or MC with something "a bit pricier" like EAR Yoshino 88P or Icon Audio PS3 Mk II which both can handle MM and MC and have volume control? I bought the Accession MM 2017 and just love it. I have the feeling it punches well above its price, therefore the question.

/Knekten30

I can't answer your question about comparisons, but would like to point out that the two non-GS units you mentioned are based on vacuum tubes. It might be a little unfair to compare tubes vs. solid state.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:14pm
David 
A good point.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 5:54pm
Are those pricey preamps available to loan? That would be the best way for anyone to decide whether they are worth a lot more money. I share your high opinion of the Accession M.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 23 Jan 2022 at 5:55pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:20pm
I once did consider a tube amp but was put off by their so called reliability that's why I ended up with a Graham Slee phono amp after remembering why I put was off buying a tube amp. I maybe wrong but didn't Graham design his phono amps to sound like tube phono amps, He will probably put me right on this if so I'll hold my hands up. A mate had a tube phono amp and had a lot of issues with it and shortly after the warranty run out got shot of it. I hear conflicting story's on their reliability so I'm still not sure on them.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 11:01am
I have a tube based phono pre-amplifier, which I like a lot. I probably have a strong bias towards it as I built it, but I also have access to the Graham Slee phono stages, when they are not out on loan.

A bit of background - the pre-built version of my phono stage “retails” around £1300, but is considered by many to be better than phono stages costing much more. I have not done this comparison myself. You may be wondering where I am going with this, but you will see.

Anyway, it dawned on me today that I had not tried the Accession C in my system since buying my Dynavector DV-XX2, so I have just popped it in my system partnered with the Enigma PSU1.

It is clear from the moment that the needle touches down that the Accession is a very good phono stage, and it has not warmed up yet. It would be unfair of me to compare it to my valve phono stage right now, as that has been on for a few hours, but I could happily live with an Accession C.

My only reservation is that I would need an extra box if I used an Accession C, as I would also need the M version as well. My DIY phonostage has good MC capability, but is slightly compromised with a MM cartridge, and as we all know, Graham does not like compromises. I know I could get an Elevator Ecp and an Accession M, but to be honest, I would want both the Accession stages, and swap them over when required.

So, as with everything, you need to try these things for yourself, and let your ears decide.
There are a lot of good MC stages around, but many of them are much more expensive than the Accession C. The law of diminishing returns is strong here.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 10:02am
High end = high price. As Kevin mentioned the law of diminishing returns kicks in steeply here.

I often get the feeling that a lot of the high prices are to cover really fancy casework and provide a very large margin to counteract the small number of units sold. The sound quality is probably different from "lesser" items, but "better"? 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic