FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Just in time for Christmas...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:11pm
Overall I really enjoy the 2M Bronze...there just happen to be parts of a song that are a tad on the bright side and it takes me out of the song briefly when it happens.

I haven't compared the Bronze to many other carts. I had an Exact when I first got the P2 and swapping them made a huge difference but listening to other carts is usually in store with TTs, amps and speakers that I'm not familiar with so it isn't easy to differentiate...

I have been toying with upgrading to a 2M Black when the time comes but I think I'd like to to try a few phono stages out beforehand to see what difference they make.
Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
Audioquest Chicago interconnect
Andy75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Guy Guy wrote:

Hey Andy:

It's been a little while and I've started appreciating how much more cohesive the overall soundstage is with the P8.

Everything is tighter, there is no separation between instruments / vocals like with the P2, the music hits you (or washes over you depending on what you listen to), the bass floor has lifted, the table disappears, I find myself sitting back and closing my eyes more often than not...

I kept my Ortofon 2M Bronze as it has lots of life left and wanted to save some cash. Funny how it's still a bit bright but a bit more noticeable nowadays. It may have something to do with the nature of the 2M series and the Supernait's built in MM phono stage...I may paly with some alternatives to see if I can warm it up a bit...maybe an Accession MM?

Originally, I was running the Dynavector through the integrated phonostage of my Rega Elex-R and found it to be a little bright, unpleasantly so on some albums. It has softened a little as it settled in, but still runs a little shrill on certain vocal tracks and with some horns (some of my audiophile Miles stuff is a tough listen in places). However, I am currently loaning a Accession MM and it is a proper game changer.* Those brash highs have been tamed, everything sounds more refined and balanced, with a far more expansive soundstage. I’m only a few days in and cannot imagine going back to the Elex-R, so much so, I’m expecting to place that order over the next couple of days. 

I’d encourage you to try the Accession MM - but just be aware that you may not want to go back :)

*And thank you to Graham for the loan scheme and to John for kindly coordinating and getting me set up. 

Edited by Andy75 - 15 May 2022 at 7:40pm
Andy
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 8:31pm
I have said this before it's hard to audition cartages as there are not a lot of HiFi shops that will allow you to do this, I can see why this is so as they would have wear them in for starters so you could hear the best out of them and that's time consuming. The other one is is down to money and that is there is not a lot of profit to be made on one that for example costs under £100, all shops have to make a profit.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 6:51pm
I have put my order in for a new turntable. It is not a Technics. After speaking to the guys at RS and hearing three different turntable in the shop, I went with my ears and not my heart. I went for the Debut Pro. So now I have a new toy (soon) and will be getting some new music for Christmas.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 9:43pm
Thank you Jon. I hope it comes soon and you enjoy lots of records played on it.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 10:40pm
I hope you enjoy it, Jon, it's been well reviewed.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 5:09pm
It was a three way toss up between Technics sl-1200 M7, Pro & Roksan Attessa, All three were good. The Attessa ran close to the Pro and was slightly better but I didn't think it was worth the extra £295. The sl-1200 sounded very good too but for some reason with my speakers which I took along with me it sounded harsh in the high frequencies, which the assistant noted too. I will be up grading the Pro with the metal sub-platter when I get the funds and also using my 2M Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic