FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Record Doctor VI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record Doctor VI?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 3:00pm
Hey Guys,

Do any member use, or have opinions on the Record Doctor VI Record Cleaning Machine?
This machine does look to be a lot more of a cost effective option than say the VPI 16.5 or
the Okki Nokki models.

I am just getting back into LPs with a very limited library so far (maybe only 25 albums),
so I will not need to clean crates full of records so a manual machine would be ok for now.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:25pm
No experience with it but it does get a vary good review  in a UK  magazine. But with the amount of records you have I would say you are better off cleaning by hand or one of the hand operated machine, as you do say that it would be OK. The price is $300 that is a lot of money.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:58pm
There are several affordable vac-based RCMs on the market the last few years.

I have a friend that uses a previous model of RD and is very happy with it. Downside to all the flip and vac style machines is that you cannot really use fluids that required soaking as when you flip the record it will make and mess and fluid will go all over the label. Not a fan of flip and vac machines for that reason. If you do buy one, you'll be limited to weaker one-step type cleaners only.

I personally have used the Squeaky Clean Mark 3 for over 5 years and have no desire to use anything else. A good cleaning fluid is key, especially if you want to clean used records. My machine has two wands - one for cleaning and one for rinse cycles.

Other alternatives are the Vinyl Bug and the KAB EV-1 if you are looking for a manual RCM where you turn the record by hand. No personal experience with either.

25 albums isn't much, but record collections have a way of multiplying very quickly.

Edited by patientot - 08 Dec 2021 at 8:58pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

25 albums isn't much, but record collections have a way of multiplying very quickly.

So true, I have a little over 5TBs of rabbits, I mean music, on the hard drive of my digital library.

With the current amount of vinyl I have, cleaning by hand would not be a problem, time wise,
but I must thing machine with a vacuum would be better to remove the cleaning fluid along with all
the dirt that gets loosened by the cleaning stage?

Thanks for those couple suggestions David, I will give them a look.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

I must think machine with a vacuum would be better to remove the cleaning fluid along with all
the dirt that gets loosened by the cleaning stage?

Thanks for those couple suggestions David, I will give them a look.

I have used many different cleaning methods and will never go back to cleaning solely by hand. A vac-based machine, even if you have to spin the record around by hand, gives far better results IME. Brushes, spray and wipe, homebrew cleaners, etc. leave behind too much filth IME.

Given the amount of records I have cleaned with my Squeaky Clean RCM (800+), the investment is small.

You will need a small 1-2 HP wet/dry vac, which is around $30-40 at Home Depot or a similar store. The guy that makes them will also do custom orders with multiple vac-wands. That's what I got. One wand for cleaning fluid and another for rinse cycles with plain distilled water.

For brushes I don't use the ones that SQ sells anymore. I switched over to a Nitty Gritty Nylon brush for applying cleaning fluid and a Nitty velvet brush for applying distilled water that I keep in a spray bottle.

For fluid I have found AI #15 to be the best I've tried. For new records it is overkill though. AI #6 would be a better choice. There are other commercial fluids but I don't use them. You may need to try a few to see what you like best. Some of them are very weak and don't clean much better than plain distilled water on used records IME.

If you want to make your own fluid and buy chemicals in bulk search for Neil Antin's free e-book on record cleaning. He's got the background and expertise for that. Many "forum people" on various sites will tell you to mix up bathroom cleaners and such which is just a bad idea.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
HPower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 12:20am
Hey David,

Thanks very much for the heads up on the Squeaky Clean!
Essentially a Record Doctor at 1/3 the price, and it looks like a Canadian product?

AI 6 and AI 15 seem like most users rate them very high.
Are these a concentrate or do you use them 100% right out of the bottle?
Perhaps a bit pricey if not concentrated, how manny records would the 32oz bottles clean?

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by HPower HPower wrote:

Hey David,

Thanks very much for the heads up on the Squeaky Clean!
Essentially a Record Doctor at 1/3 the price, and it looks like a Canadian product?

AI 6 and AI 15 seem like most users rate them very high.
Are these a concentrate or do you use them 100% right out of the bottle?
Perhaps a bit pricey if not concentrated, how manny records would the 32oz bottles clean?

Well, the machine is a bit different than a Record Doctor, but I personally prefer the design for my use. Other folks may prefer the RD.

RE: the AI fluids, each record only uses a few ml of fluid. It is "ready to use", not concentrated. If you wanted concentrated fluid you would have to get something else.

Not sure how many records it would clean offhand but a lot. I often buy the fluid now in the larger bottle and it usually lasts me for several months.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic