FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Binaural recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binaural recordings
    Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:02pm
Hi
I’m trialling the ULDE at home at the moment (thanks John C!) and whilst the separation/soundstage is great it seems to me the imaging/depth is still pretty much in a vertical plane through my head ( left, right and up) - not much in foreground as with speaker listening. However I have also listened to some binaural recordings off Youtube on my iPad through the amp and they sound great. Much more 360 depth in a horizontal plain through my ears. Has anyone else listened to these recordings and had a similar experience?

Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:14pm
as a ps this is a good example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zGY9c9LljU especially when the tambourine appears behind your head around 8m 40 s in

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:14pm
Yes, there are some good test albums out there that show how a binaural mix fills in the gaps. Aside from armband conduction the separation between headphone channels is very noticeable, compared to the in-room mixing of the stereo speakers.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:20pm
I read somewhere that Open back ‘ phones produce better depth/ imaging than closed or semi-closed types. Is there any evidence that supports this?

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:46pm
I can only go off my listening experience which is similar to what you have read elsewhere Tom. Mainly a wider image ie.e. outside my head and some sense of sound in front, but not as much as with speakers.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 10:23pm
I second what Jon said. IMO speakers will always give a better forward sound (3D if you like) This may be because the speakers are in front of you, that's the best way I can explain it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 12:30am
With standard stereo recordings, headphones don't have the sound positioning or depth of field that speakers can. With headphones, no matter how open the ear enclosures are and assuming no DSP, each ear hears only one channel. With stereo speakers, each ear hears both channels. The difference is significant and it is down to limitations of design, not cost.

Open-back headphones allow the back wave to leave the enclosure, releasing the pressure loading off the moving driver diaphragm. This should give a better impulse response - faster to start and to stop. The front wave can still be pressure loaded depending on the enclosure design and earpad qualities. Spacious thick earpads give more enclosed air around the ear and allow for improved stereo imaging, in my experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic