FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Binaural recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:58am
Thanks all for your responses. I take all that you say but it doesn’t explain why a binaural recordingnplayed through the same preamp and headphones can give a more realistic spatial image (in front of  AND behind) the head than conventional stereo recordings.
Surely it is still a stereo L/R signal being sent to each earpiece?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:13pm
It is due to microphone positioning. The two mics are placed on a dummy head where the left and right ears are. The delay times between them provides the perception of 3D spatial position.
Adytiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adytiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:34pm
Hi Ash,
Yes I understand that but is it not then possible to “tweak” or modify a conventional stereo signal to mimic what a dummy head recording “hears” and send this modified signal to the headphones? So you could take the original stereo master tape recording , “shape” it using some special software and then re-record as an approximated binaural recording.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:35pm
In theory yes but the problem is most stereo reconrdings are made up of a set of separately recorded tracks mixed together. They haven't been captured with one stereo microphone or a spaced pair as Ash wrote above, in fact many are a set of difefrent tracks of close miked instruments which may just be mono tracks panned across from left to right. That works on speakers because of the cross-mix in the room but they they have a fixed position when heard on headphones and lack directional cues.

Imagine playing a traditional stero recording through speakers and caaturing it with binaural microphones. It could be simulated with software but really it would a room model with two speakers and a stereo binaural microphone, ultimately it would still be panned stereo source signal i.e. a mixed album played back not a binaural recording.

There isn't a general solution I know of to transform a panned studio recording into a binaural recording. However, there are blend controls and contour filters on some headphone amps designed to create a more natural and interesting mix for headphone listening. I hope that helps.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 8:57pm
Two things to look at:

MySphere 3.1
Smyth Realiser A16

I have MS 3.1. The drivers are attached to completely open frames; no enclosures at all. The ear-to-driver distance and angle can be adjusted and optimized.

I don't have the A16 but it uses DSP, headtracking and head related transfer function stuff to spatialize headphones to imitate speakers at a distance and at various positions around a virtual room. Complex and expensive stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic