FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Open baffle speaker driver array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open baffle speaker driver array
    Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 6:35pm
I don't like listening to music with headphones as much as I used to. Since trying a pair of Mark Audio Alpair 11MS on cardboard open baffle, I feel that speakers are finally capable of replacing headphones in my system. Even the MySphere 3.1, despite its brilliance, is not enough to convince me otherwise and that is a lot of money that I can free up if I sell it.

The 11MS is a decent physical size but it would be great to have more of them to move more air for less excursion. How do I go about wiring up multiple speakers in a series-parallel arrangement so the Proprius can drive them and each speaker driver sounds the same individually? Would I be able to increase bass output with more drivers if I EQ other regions of the audible range down?

EQing an "unrestricted" (no box) single suspension speaker array to a roughly flat response at close proximity should easily replace headphone listening. Proprius dials at 9-10 o'clock and Majestic dial up high should make speaker hiss insignificant. I am open to the idea of more than one pair of Proprius and more than one Majestic DAC.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 8:28am
Paralleled multiple full-range drivers probably won't yield satisfying results (there's a good reason why most speaker designers have settled on one driver per frequency region, except in the bass). Adding bass-only drivers in a line array is more likely to be an improvement, but there would probably need to be crossovers and the amp will have to cope with the low impedance in that region.

On the single existing driver, bass EQ might increase the extension a little, and with nearfield listening there is a little power and excursion available to spend on this. But the 11MS is not intended for high power handling or excursion, so moderate volumes only, and getting down to the 30s is going to be a significant ask.

Sticking with the same driver, the best bass results are going to come from loading it appropriately for bass, but then we're into reasonable size cabinets, loss of the open baffle qualities, and probably loss of the ability to use it on a desktop.

So I'd be tempted to try adding a small, well-integrated active subwoofer. The single-driver open baffle qualities will remain and flat extension to the high 20s should be possible, and the electrical adjustments already available on the subwoofer will prove invaluable in achieving good integration.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 7:05pm
Thanks. I bought a second pair of 11MS last night, just so I can play around with low end extension. I know it is not a dedicated woofer but I want to stick with mono-suspension cones for bass speed and purity. I might have to acoustically load the bass 11MS cones slightly to assist bass dB SPL but I don't want to compromise too much. Close proximity, open baffle, shallow cone profiles. I prefer the emittance pattern of the metal coned Alpair drivers over the paper too. Will be using the speakers close to the ears a little like the AKG K1000 splayed out drivers but want to mount them on telescopic flexible stands to suspend them in front of the head. (This is a substitute for headphone listening after all and I don't want room acoustics influencing the sound). I am a bit uhh weird, I know.

EDIT - they seem to be called gooseneck stands, like what they do for microphone positioning. Would be great to have it thick/hollow enough to thread a Spatia cable through it hmm.

Edited by Ash - 06 Dec 2021 at 10:21pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:09am
Graham, any chance of a tone control or equalizer DAK board for correcting speaker peaks and troughs?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 9:47pm
Graham, how easily could you produce a DAK tone control PCB for the digital domain? Or do you have a better suggestion for doing speaker EQ?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 1:47am
First try

Which is the acoustics of my workshop/listening room, paying attention to Bonello and Bolt-area.

Enter your own room dimensions (feet being easier than centimetres), and look at Bonello and Bolt-area again.

Also look at concentrations around 125Hz and 250Hz, and go to the "more about room modes and this calculator" link.

Because, if you find your room is awkward, I think you'll be at it forever and always dissatisfied.

As your music is all in digital files, a software graphic EQ would be the best way to go IMO.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 2:03pm
I mainly want to correct the 11MS driver's mechanical response. Slightly raise the response between 6-7K, attenuate the response slightly at 8K, raise the response at the 350Hz dip, shelf down the 100-300Hz upper bass and reshape the bass section to get the result more flat. Will use a second 11MS purely for bass support. Well I might have two to four 11MS drivers for bass support actually. Open baffle or minimum enclosure. Close proximity. Will beat MySphere then I can sell it.

Edited by Ash - 21 Dec 2021 at 2:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic