FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A DAC with headphone amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A DAC with headphone amp
    Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 3:00pm
Out last night down the pub, someone tried to make off with my coat but a nice man saw it happening and got it back for me (I didn't see it happen) bought him a pint for his efforts. Well my mate and me got talking to him and the conversation turned to music. He asked us about headphone amps as he was looking for one, he said every one he had looked at had a DAC and he said I have a very good DAC already so I don't wont to waste money on something I already have. This was a easy question for me to answer I just pointed him towards GS headphone amps. He said to us, have you noticed nearly every one comes with a DAC now a days and the only one he had seen was a four figure sum and I don't have that sort of money to spend. We all had a look on are phones and not one of us could find one with out a DAC.
It seems that headphone amps are all pointed towards digital and computers, this man wonted one for his computer but but it also had to have a good sound for his HiFi as he will be using it for both. Well at the end of the night we all left the pub and he said to me, I'm going to have a look at the GS website tomorrow it has just what I need.
I was just wondering if you lot have noticed this about headphone amps, all seem to come with a DAC?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 7:24pm
A lot of the budget models nowadays from various manufacturers do come as DAC/HP amp combos. I also agree that many of these are meant for computer audio playback. I use a cheapo model at my desk when I can't use my regular stereo system.

However, there are still companies that make standalone headphone amps. I think folks that are very serious about headphone listening will want a standalone product.

Remember that nowadays a lot of people use headphones for things like streaming services and video games. Here in the U.S. if you go to a big box store, nearly all the headphones being sold are wireless models. If I wanted to buy a set of higher quality wired headphones, I'd have to get them online.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:49pm
David
It seems the over here as in going down the wireless road.
Even with my portable music player I still prefer wired headphones, with the wireless I would have one more thing to charge up. I went on holiday a few years ago and I had a holdall (bag) full of chargers.
I am seeing that man on Friday and taking my headphone amp so he can listen to it in his system (he phoned me up today) he seems vary interested, He has had a look on the GS website and the one I have is in his budget. I'm only too happy to help a follow music lover out.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:12pm
Once he has heard a HFC headphone amp thanks to you, maybe he would like to try a Bitzie with its built-in DAC. I was very impressed with the loan unit albeit some years ago.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:19am
He does seem set on the Solo and he did say he had a very good DAC I will find out on Friday what he has. But I will mention it just in case he's mist it. He did say his HiFi was geared to vinyl so that maybe why.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic