FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

stylus lubricant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stylus lubricant
    Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:09am
I have seen, although not recently, well known reviewers state how they firmly believe in using a waxy type substance to lubricate the stylus before playing an LP. This substance is usually in a container and the idea is to lower the arm into the wax and lift the arm imparting a minute piece of the wax to the tip of the stylus.
The American turntable company Vpi appear to advocate the use of this substance, do any members use this or have done in the past. I don't believe it is meant or claimed to enhance playback more extend the life of the stylus tip.
I have considered  trying it once or twice but if there is one thing I try to avoid it is brushing the stylus, even done correctly with a the right tool I consider it an accident waiting to happen and I felt eventually the wax is going to attract dust and cleaning / brushing may then necessitate the use of a cleaner a fluid something else I have weaned myself off over the years.
Maybe it is a case of not broken don't fix it.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 5:56pm
I would never, ever consider using such a thing and have never heard of it, though I suppose people and especially certain types of companies have all sorts of wacky things like that available.

Re: brushing a stylus, it's the main way I clean my styli, and have never damaged one doing so. That said, I do not use gemstone type cantilevers (e.g. ruby), which are far more fragile than traditional materials such as aluminum or boron.

Now, re: liquid cleaners, it all depends on the cartridge manufacturer. Some do not recommend them under any circumstance and using them would be at your own risk. Don't expect them to honor the warranty in that case either.

FWIW I mainly use AT cartridges and they sell their own liquid solvent cleaner. It's not something that I use often, maybe once a month, or once every 2 weeks at most. I'm always careful not to brush too much of the cantilever and just focus on the diamond when I do use it.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm
I would have thought the wax would get onto the record causing play back problems ie tracking, slippage, getting into the record grooves causing sound quality issues. As we all know anything on a record is bad news, that's why we all try and keep are records clean. As for extending the life of the stylus I just can't see it myself, Surely the wax is going to wear off after a few spins of the record and as I said, get onto the record.
I certainly would not use it.
There are some wacky things out there in HiFi

Edited by lfc jon - 10 Nov 2021 at 7:13pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Talking of wacky. The latest thing I have seen is at HiFi shows, Manufactures keeping the speaker cables off the floor so as to reduce RF and vibration. Now I can see (maybe) reducing vibration but RF, Maybe Graham could tell us more on that one. To me this is taking things too far or I'm I missing the point here.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Talking of wacky. The latest thing I have seen is at HiFi shows, Manufactures keeping the speaker cables off the floor so as to reduce RF and vibration. Now I can see (maybe) reducing vibration but RF, Maybe Graham could tell us more on that one. To me this is taking things too far or I'm I missing the point here.

From what I've seen, there are those who know nothing about things like electricity or electronics engineering but still want to make a name for themselves in hi-fi. I guess it's easy to latch onto vibration and interference from frequencies in the radio spectrum, perhaps because they know that plenty of customers are just as knowledgeable as they are(n't). We can't all be engineers and so it seems the hi-fi press also know very little (or they'd be earning more than £50 - £100 per review). So, since review magazines stopped paying knowledgeable staff (they once did) then anything goes. There are one or two exceptions, but they're hard to spot.

So, what about those incredible recordings of live performances with masses of (mainly signal) cables securely anchored to the venue's floor with all that gaffer tape? Recording trucks parked on the pavement. But, to reproduce the instruments in the sonic version of supermarionation, strings must be pulled (or legs lifted).

But I was going to comment on substances impeding the contact between groove and stylus (so I just did).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 6:25pm
Thanks Graham
On vibration, I have had problems with my personal stereo with the headphone cable rubbing on my jacket with the noise transferring through to the ear pieces, so that's why I gave vibration more leeway.
But waxing your stylus, I see no advantage in doing it.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Thanks Graham
On vibration, I have had problems with my personal stereo with the headphone cable rubbing on my jacket with the noise transferring through to the ear pieces

I had that problem, very annoying. Perhaps they should make body pylons? Wink

Edited by Graham Slee - 11 Nov 2021 at 8:12pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic