FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Amp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Southernowl View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Amp
    Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:03am
I'm looking at replacing my Arcam Alpha 9 amp (the one with the input selector which gives problems.) It's been a plan for a couple of years.

I've seen an Exposure 3010S2 online, before I make a bit of a trek to listen to it, has anyone got any experience of them please? It's a new make to me, I've never seen them in the shops I normally use.

It'll be fed by Thorens TD166 mk2 (but hoping to replace with a Wilson Benesch in a couple of years) & a pair of floor standing Spendors on the other end.

Nick White
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 9:10pm
May I suggest trying a pair of Proprius amps Nick.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:54pm
I remember auditioning an ' Exposure Amp'' among many other designs some 20 or more years ago. 
It made a positive impression with the type of music and the level of Hifidelity that I sought at the time. 
''Exposure amp'' was the ''good budget design'' of those days. But sooner or later you may seek as you indicate '' True audiophile'' music natural reproduction. And I ditch my '' stereo Integrated '' to Mono power amp stuck piggyback on my much upgraded(crossover/inner box lining/even MDFveneer to the outsidebox/ BW 620 and eventually a Focal ARIA 936. Now I ''experience Music'' and Proprius conveys it perhaps the psychology of not seeing another electronic box or better with my wife confirming a very different feeling when the Thorens 160B with G1042 hit the deck.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:16pm
Nick
Seeing as you have been planning a change for a few years now what's a few more weeks, mouths. What about using the loan program and check out what Jon suggested, the Proprius amps that way you can try them at home in your system.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:41pm
Hi, 

I did look at the Proprius/Majestic as a replacement but the Majestic only has 1 analogue input & I'll need 2, and currently use 3. (It was also a bit beyond my current budget) I therefore dismissed the idea without thinking about it too much.

I'm pretty sure the Alpha 9 amp I'm currently using though would act as a pre amp & input selector. expect another phone call about a loan Jon! :)

Nick White
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:16pm
from what have read you can use it as pre amp but I can't find any info on how to do this.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southernowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:08pm
There's an 'external, pre amp out' socket. It's there for bi amping the signal, they sold a matching Alpha 9P power amp at the time. I don't think there's an in built crossover so it should have all of the signal fed out on that connector
Nick White
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic