FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

capacitance loading logic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: capacitance loading logic
    Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:43am
Good Morning, last week I took delivery of an Accession M phono stage and Enigma ps on home demo. Under the heading Cap Load the Accession booklet states the cartridge sees the capacitance of the tonearm wiring and arm cable plus whatever is set on the phono stage via the dip switches, the capacitance value of the arm wiring and interconnect should be subtracted from the cartridge capacitance which will leave a value to be set on the dip switches for best matching.

Yesterday I received an email from my turntable / tonearm manufacturer stating that the combined capacitance value of the tonearm wiring and cable, which are both Litz silver cores is 320pF.
The cartridge is an Audio Note IQ3 mm, recommended load capacitance 150 - 200pF.

This would leave a negative value and so to my logic the dip switches should all be set to zero or out?
This is the nearest match I can hope for unless I change the cartridge or wiring, is my logic correct?

I took delivery of the turntable in late March, ordered last December, when ordering I already owned and was using the cartridge and I cannot help but feel the dealer has done me something of a disservice by not flagging up that by specifying the top option of the Litz wiring/ cabling I was creating a mis match from the point of capacitance matching. 
This is my first experience of a stand alone adjustable phono stage previous units have been integrated in the pre amp (which Iv'e had for at least 15 years) it 's a bit of a learning curve in more than one way.
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:34am
My apologies for posting in my haste under the topic of Music, it should have been under Graham Slee phono stages.Confused
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:59pm
Zero is probably the best option you can hope for here under the circumstances. Unfortunately many tonearm manufacturers automatically assume the end user is going to use a moving coil cartridge (not really affected by capacitance) so they will use higher capacitance wiring in the tonearm and not tell you.

Bear in mind that as we age we lose our high frequency hearing ability so you may not notice that much difference in a 320pf load vs. a 200pf total load on this cartridge. It just depends on those factors, which are going to be different for the individual.

When you set the Accession switches to 0pf, how does it sound to you on records you are familiar with?
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Teesside Tom Teesside Tom wrote:

Yesterday I received an email from my turntable / tonearm manufacturer stating that the combined capacitance value of the tonearm wiring and cable, which are both Litz silver cores is 320pF.
The cartridge is an Audio Note IQ3 mm, recommended load capacitance 150 - 200pF.

Now, what kind of wazzock who understands how these things work, would do a trick like that? Answer: a wazzock who doesn't understand how it works. Hopefully it's not one of my dealers.

Here's what a Technics SL1200 II arm and cable measures (excuse the dust).

tonearm and cable capacitance left

tonearm and cable capacitance right

(PS. It's OK by me to post in the wrong place Wink)

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:53pm
I know some people don't like RS, But when I got back into Vinyl one of the first things they asked me was did my amp have a phono amp built in and whether it was MM or MC as I had a set budget. They said to me you would be surprised how many people come back and complain that their turntable didn't work with their amp and had not put money a side for a phono amp, so being that it sounds like you were spending a lot of money on your turntable I would have thought they would have asked some questions or given you some idea of what you were getting your self into.
But at lest your on the right forum to get good answers from vary good people
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:20pm
I’m guessing the arm is an Audio Note Arm Three. https://www.audionote.co.uk/arm-three
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:36pm
A little disappointing with the cartridge and arm from same manufacturer but it may sound better than the specs suggest. And your Accession can help to counter any brightness as the US setting cuts over 2dB at 10 kHz compared to standard RIAA.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic