FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A capella recordings / albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A capella recordings / albums
    Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:01pm
Good afternoon, I have 2 or 3 albums on which on some tracks for around the first minute there is no instrumental accompaniment to the singer, I am thinking here Joan Baez and Barbara Dickson as examples. 
For me this really is the proverbial music to my ears, could any member recommend any full on A Capella albums from similar performers, thank you.
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:53pm
I have one LP of fully A Capella music, not exactly the same sort of artist you quoted but an enjoyable record.

Lost Boys 1984 album by The Flying Pickets.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Teesside Tom Teesside Tom wrote:

Good afternoon, I have 2 or 3 albums on which on some tracks for around the first minute there is no instrumental accompaniment to the singer, I am thinking here Joan Baez and Barbara Dickson as examples. 
For me this really is the proverbial music to my ears, could any member recommend any full on A Capella albums from similar performers, thank you.

Lots of folk/traditional singers and ensembles (many family-based - e.g. the Stewarts of Blair, the Watersons from North Yorkshire, the Coppers from down here in Sussex) have recorded like this - try e.g.

If you want the fount of modern English a cappella folksinging (the greatest influence on the wonderful Sandy Denny and June Tabor), look no further than Anne Briggs. Vinyl pressings of her stuff are erratic and/or hideously expensive, but this CD compilation (guitar or bouzouki on just 4 tracks out of 22, the other 18 stunningly unadorned) gives a generous draught of the Good Stuff for very little cost:

Apropos June Tabor - this LP has instrumental accompaniment on some tracks, but is often a cappella - I'd also say it's one of the two or three greatest folk/traditional albums of the 1970s:
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
Thank you for the information, I will be following up your suggestions. 

Many years ago looking through my local HMV store for a recording by the Ink Spots for a friends father I bought a Tex Ritter cd on a whim, Sanctuary Records label. It is not A capella but has minimal backing, the quality of sound is amazing, I still have it. Sometimes for a few quid an absolute bargain falls into your lap!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic