FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analogue remaster = Analogue original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 2:46pm
Thanks to fluddite for the tip on converting the screen shot to jpg and the maximum file size posting. 

As regards sound reproduction quality, I'm not as learned as some contributors but I can say I was immediately impressed with what I heard the first time I played the album My East is Your West from Gearbox records, and the system was stone cold.
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:44pm
If all sellers of vinyl recordings gave the recording information available on Gearbox Records for individual albums we would all be much better informed, but maybe we should be careful what we wish for.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by MS61 MS61 wrote:

GZ Media pressing plant and mastering facility in Loděnice, Czech Republic operates 3 DMM and 1 lacquer mastering systems. Full analog chain is possible but rare used... GZ Media concentrates on mass market not audiophil community definitely.

It´s possible to use software control for computer simulation and use full analog signal chain.

BTW my short visit in GZ plant was very interesting! Mr. Ladislav Kus (my guide) worked in Loděnice from 1959!

Michal

GZ is a massive plant, one of the largest in the world. And it's definitely true that they focus on the mass market and some of those releases are very hit or miss.

When they want to do great work, they can though. A friend of mine had a record cut by them via DMM and then pressed at their associated plant, Precision Record Pressing (Canada). It turned out great. NOT AAA because the album was digitally recorded to begin with.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Having had exceptionally positive experiences with AAA cuts/remasters from Cohearant, BG, Gearbox and (unsurprisingly) MFSL - and solid ones with Sterling (Alchemy I've found less impressive) - I'd fully endorse your list of "big dogs". Kevin Grey in particular is a man after my own heart. At the same time, it's often the case with high-circulation LPs (The Beatles 1967-1970 being a case in point) that original (and by definition AAA if pre-1980ish) copies can be had near-mint for the same or less than new remasters. Of course, that tends not to be true of the desirable Blue Note goodies that Mr Grey remasters so well...Wink

A few years ago those Beatles blue and red comps could be had for $10 or less in the U.S. I think prices may have climbed a bit since then, but there are still many common albums that can be had cheaply if you know where to look. I have seen prices on popular classic rock steadily climbing. Many of the records simply aren't worth paying those asking prices based on condition and sound though, IMHO.

Blue Note stuff has really gone through the roof. Even less desirable 70s reissues, 80s DMM cuts, etc. I see at ridiculous jacked-up prices. Besides pricing, it's worth noting that guys like Gray and Smith have very different mastering styles than RVG or his contemporaries had back in the day. Those old records had to be cut to sound good on record changers, console stereos, etc. They weren't made for the kinds of gear we see people running today. RVG would add compression and roll off highs for those old changers.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 2:53pm
I see Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MoFi) have got them selfs into a bit of trouble over their claim about their vinyl records being all analogue it seems that part of the process is done in digital. You can read more on this on "The Washington Post" website.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:38pm
Indeed. When AAA isn't AAA!

As others have written there is outrage from some customers about the hidden step, sort of AADA, but little heard from those who said all analogue was what they discerned in MoFi.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Indeed. When AAA isn't AAA!

As others have written there is outrage from some customers about the hidden step, sort of AADA, but little heard from those who said all analogue was what they discerned in MoFi.
Most records I've had off MoFi have been vary good but I did have one which to me for what I paid for it was no better than the original and the quality of the record itself was poor and I thought to myself at the time, they need to get their quality control sorted out, the seller agreed with me and I got a refund.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic