FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analogue remaster = Analogue original

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Teesside Tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Analogue remaster = Analogue original
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:55am
Good morning, 
                      If any member has bought the second release (on vinyl) of the Beatles album 1967 to 1970 which was rereleased a few years ago after being remastered from the original analogue tapes at Abbey Road I would like to hear their opinions of their listening experience(s) , thank you.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 4:09pm
David
I have had good & bad experiences with remasters, Pink Floyd's DSOTM being one of them (bad) IMO the CD was better, I did get an original on vinyl which was even better. If you don't get any feed back on the album I think you should be OK, Abbey Road have a vary good world wide reputation and it is done by the original analogue tapes. In the 80s music was being transferred to digital so as to be put on CD and this is where things start getting complicated and I have heard people saying that they would never get digital remasters if the music was originally done in analogue, Having said that this album maybe being done from original tapes but remastered in digital, as I said it gets complicated.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 6:47pm
I already own this album, bought about 4 months ago after a fair bit of thought partly because of some experience with remasters and the price - about £45. From the outset I thought it rather brusque / bright etc so to speak and so if I play it I do so after the system has been on for 2 hours or so which helps to take the edge off it, however it would be interesting to hear what other owners of it find when listening on their system.
 Having just played it again on Thursday I thought I would do a search to see who was the lead singer on the first track, Strawberry Fields, as Lennon could be a bit nasal and Macca a bit high pitched - not a good combo if the recording is not spot on. I found a number of posts and have attached one from Analogue Planet and part of another from Quora, both of these seem to come from people who really know their stuff. 
When you said it was complicated it was an understatement judging by these two posts. It seems to me if this is the best that Abbey Road can do something is very wrong and the public are being taken, pressings were done at Quinlan Road so I do not see an issue with the pressing side of it.  Sorry the attachments are not too clear.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 6:51pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesside Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
For some reason the two copies of the posts on Analogue Planet and Quora converted to pdf and placed on my posts are not being copied through with the text. 
Anyone interested in the two posts just do as I did and type into your search engine "lead singer on Strawberry Fields 1967 - 1970 album". It is really good reading and disappointing at the same time.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:55pm
It's John Lennon singing SFF but there's a nifty change in tape speed to bring the intro in line with the rest of the song. That may cause the confusion.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:04pm
Also I agree with LFC Jon that remasters vary a lot and I agree with Tom that you'd expect the premium cuts to be great, not so so. I think it's important to know what you're getting. I'd be disappointed if the remastered LP claimed to be AAA or something special when it is really the CD master cut into a record. The latter can still sound good but not if you've been duped, allegedly.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 09 Oct 2021 at 10:05pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic