FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius/Majestic: Describe the Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MNdoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius/Majestic: Describe the Sound
    Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:55pm
Using the forum search function hasn't yielded the results I'm looking for, but if this has indeed been addressed elsewhere, please point me to the proper discussion....

First, the background:  Over the last couple of years I've been moving away from vintage hi-fi equipment and have purchased several new components (see my signature line), including an Accession, which I really enjoy.  I'm thinking about replacing the last vintage piece of my main system, a Sansui AU-555a amplifier.  I've been so impressed with the Accession that I'm of course considering the Proprius/Majestic pairing.

Here's the thing, though:  I'm really "bright sound" phobic.  I like lots of clarity and detail, but not at the expense of silky smoothness.  Extended treble, with all it's sparkle and sizzle, just sets my teeth on edge.  And lots of modern solid state equipment seems to aim for crisp and bright.

SO, those of you who own or have spent time with the Proprius/Majestic pairing:  how would you describe the sound on your system?  Bright?  Smooth?  Warm?  Crisp?  What character do you perceive in the pairing?  Any observations will be welcome.  Thanks!
Sansui AU-555A, Zu Audio Omen MK.II, Technics SL-1210GAE w/ Nagaoka MP200, Graham Slee Accession, Black Ice Audio Glass FX Tube DAC_DSD Wifi, Yamaha CD-S700, AudioQuest Niagara 1200
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:26pm
Incredible, and I haven't fully optimised my setup into them yet.

All I'm going to say is their designer knew exactly what he was doing, sound-wise. Extremely promising sound with MySphere 3.1 and mono-suspension speaker drivers.

Also, until the electronics have been kept powered up for some time, the sound won't be as settled and consistent. But it is solid and stable sound quality from the beginning IMO.

Edited by Ash - 21 Sep 2021 at 9:30pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:44pm
Hi Doug, they aren't bright sounding but there is plenty of detail. It is a rich and engrossing sound  that works very well with the digital sources I tried and my Accessions. Please try the combination on the loan scheme, I think you will like it.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
MNdoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:47pm
Thanks, Ash.

The problem is that one person's "incredible" is another's "not for me."  I recently auditioned an Audio By Van Alstine control amplifier that gets stellar reviews.  However, within just a few days, I knew it wasn't right for me--the sound was too bright and fatiguing to my ears.  I don't want to make the same mistake twice!
Sansui AU-555A, Zu Audio Omen MK.II, Technics SL-1210GAE w/ Nagaoka MP200, Graham Slee Accession, Black Ice Audio Glass FX Tube DAC_DSD Wifi, Yamaha CD-S700, AudioQuest Niagara 1200
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:52pm
The sound qualities of the Majestic-Proprius are very well judged.  Detailed but not tiresome to listen to. The loan scheme will open your eyes for just the cost of the postage and personal experience will be more valuable than the opinions of others. MySphere 3.1 is an incredible headphone experience through Graham's electronics and will make most people re-evaluate what "high fidelity" audio can sound like.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:31pm
I'd say smooth sounding and right rather than bright.

If you have heard a leak stereo twenty in good order you are pretty close.

Whilst they have no problem with dynamics with efficient speakers I'd avoid pairing them with inefficient speakers.

Does that help?

As Ash says, use the loaner scheme and only by if you decide they are right for you.

MNdoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:36pm
Yes, your description is indeed helpful. Thanks for the advice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic