FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vintage Technology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:16pm
There is a lot of old tech out there that could have changed the way we listen to music for the better but it seems since digital came along and after CD that quality of music play back as taken a back step, I'm talking mp3 here. We are only just getting back to CD sound quality (streaming, downloads) People want convenience now over sound quality it seems. One old tech VINYL still lives on, makes you think, don't it. Not all old tech is bad.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:34pm
My 2nd Cousin's Dad had one of those Disc Recorders. 
If I remember it correctly it was as if magnetic tape had been 'spread' over a record, very strange! I can remember recording our voices on it and I didn't think it was as clear as the Reel to Reel tape recorder my Dad had. And I do remember thinking, why? 
However it was a long time ago, probably ~60 years! (yes I am that old!)

It also reminds me that I haven't used my Sony Reel to Reel for a while, must see if it still works!

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:42pm
Yes the quality was low which was probably due to the compression needed to get enough minutes of music on there. Well below the standard set by reel to reel 

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:48pm
Mike,
It was the TC366 that was in Bond - I think it was in Live and Let Die. I had one myself. Bought for a fiver from a jumble sale in my local village hall when I was 13. Sold it to my mate’s dad for a tenner. Doubled my money! 

L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:12am
Thanks for the correction Tim, I was going by memory which isn't always a good thing these days.  I wouldn't mind finding one at a jumble sale myself, just to play around with. Mind you the quality of digital ripping is so good that I doubt it would get much use.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:33pm
I think my Grandads Reel to reel was a Sony. He did like the brand, He had a TV and portably radio  all made by them. there is two HiFi separates you don't hear of now a days, The tuner and receiver, do they still make them? My 1st proper HiFi tuner was DAB and FM It was the 1st thing I ever bought on the Internet, My mum was working at a school and they had it and she got the headmaster to order it for me, I can remember the shop in town was selling it for £250, My mate found it for £180 online. WHAT A SAVING. I didn't have access to the internet back then. Digital compact cassette, remember them?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:49pm
Looked out my Sony Reel2Reel, it is a TC366 ! 
Inherited it from my Uncle who worked at the Beeb. He was in the Engineering dept' at BBC Centre (White City) repairing their Ampex Video recorders, amongst other things. They were the size of a small room and used vacuum heads to keep the tape in contact, if my memory is correct Smile
Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic