FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vintage Technology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:00pm
Hopefully better than this heap of ****

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:16pm
What is that Graham, an early Phillips portable video recorder?  Looks like v small spool size.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:19pm
I'm wondering that too.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:23am
The spools were around five or six inches diameter. I'm pretty sure they were less than the seven inch spools the (audio) Tandberg's used. The tape was half inch and black unlike the brown of the emitape. It was the "portable" version of the LDL1000, so it could be carried to different rooms, intended for the education market (where I started in AV). It was black and white only (or perhaps we must call it monochrome these days). It was also quite heavy!

The three "fiddle knobs" were needed to "adjust" the tracking, and I remember standing there like a different type of knob, trying to get the damn thing stable enough to leave with a teacher and class of kids. Tape wear was a problem as each reel was re-recorded every week, and played about ten times.

If you think that was fun, the LEA replaced it with the dreaded VCR. But at least that gave me a change of scenery - taking it to Leeds every two weeks to have it fixed!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
For anyone interested in old audio and video formats/equipment (and many other things) this You Tube channel is well worth a browse:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:24pm
I have watched A lot of Techmoan videos, this guy is vary good he doesn't go into too much Hi tech jargon, vary down the earth. It was here that I saw the Phillips ski slope tape player
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic