FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vintage Technology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Technology
    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Came across this device in an exhibition of the company history of Pye in Cambridge. It's a magnetic disc audio recorder / playback machine from 1950s. Looking at the arm, it has a 'cartridge' which appears to track a machined groove on the disc with a two pronged 'stylus' (a bit like a miniature fuse). Evidently it still works but the sound was said to be pretty terrible.
Pye had their own record label at the time and were looking at alternative technology but like many innovations this one never caught on...well not until digital storage used blank magnetic discs and a tracking head!

Never seen anything like this before so thought I'd share.

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 10:11pm
I like looking at old music play back formats
I once did consider DAT tape, it was a vary good format but expensive. I did get into Minidisc for a few years. there are so many different formats out there I could go on and on. Some good and bad, remember 8 track. I'll stop now or I will be up all night.
Thanks for this post
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:05pm
not old but SACD never took off. Well I have never seen any for sale not with the type of music I like. DVD Audio was a another one, the two were better than CD for sound quality. Reel-to-reel, I can remember my Grandad having this when I was a little boy. You can still get them and the tapes, Pre recorded tapes go for anything from £70 up. they do say the sound quality is excellent.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:55pm
Classic old gear Mike and good examples Jon. What about mini-cd's? Strictly a software format but even so.

I'm now thinking about radiogram cabinets and music centres.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 8:25pm
Jon
My Grandad also had a Radiogram cabinet, I would have liked to have had it for myself, but didn't have the space. My dad had a music centre, on the cassette it had GECs noise reduction system which was said to be better than Dolby at the time. Mini-cd  - didn't that have a problem because it didn't conform to the Red Book standard? If I can remember rightly Sony were not happy. Talk about cassette Philips came out with the N2401 and it had a ski-slope attachment this enabled it play up to 6 tapes and play both sides and I think you could also programme it to play what tracks you liked. I would like to put a link to Pics or video but I don't know how to do this
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
Yes mini-CD was one f those curio items that could have been adapted for singles or EP's. I found quite a few radiograms in the local tip in the 1970's and 1980's, salvaging the old autochangers, amplifiers, and so forth. I turned a few valve radios in guitar amps too, bakelite blues! We had a lot of Philips gear because my father worked there but never the N2401, which seems astonishing. Philips also had a single ended noise reduction system called DNL for tape playback which reduced high frequencies in the quieter bits if I remember correctly.

Photos can be loaded into a post by clicking on the arrow. It takes a couple of stages and and there is a size limit but it works reliably. No sure about video, that might need external hosting... others may know more about this.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:01pm
I used to enjoy reel to reel recordings, the equivalent to today's ripping. I had a Sony TC377 ( famously used in James Bond film, Dr. NO ). This was matched up with a Leek Stereo 20, Whardale Super Lintons and an A&R deck. Thought it sounded great in  '70's until I heard a pair of massive Tannoy corner speakers in shop in Sheffield. Such a big sound!
Don't know anyone who could house a pair of Tannoys like that but there must be some mansions owners, we can't all live in boxes.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic