FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics linear trackers like SL-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 10:32am
Ifor - just caught up with this thread. Really sorry to know of all the trouble with your SL-7. I wish I could help, but I know I'd be in the same situation if my SL-QL1 started playing up!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 6:11pm
Were any of the things Bruce and I posted before helpful?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 7:06pm
Re-posting... 

Ifor, Need to look for a cracked and/or loose solder joint on the motor driver circuit.
 You could also have a failing electrolytic cap on the power supply or the motor driver circuit.
If there is a speed feedback pickup coil (extra winding on the drive motor), that circuit could be a location of a loose connection, too.

Remember, any electronics over 20 years old can have leaking and/or failing electrolytic caps.
When electrolytic caps age their leads can come apart inside or they can leak a stain on the pcb.

If any electrolytic caps are found bad, it is best to replace all of them.

In the 1980's, lead-free solder was just starting to be used and many repairs only needed to be 
re-soldered. Bad & cracked solder joints were very common then... but so were caps' leads coming apart, and resistor leads that disconnect with changing temps.

You need to investigate the link Jon sent.
Others may have common problems they have found... BUT do not rule out bad solder joints or caps.

Have the tech working on the SL-7:
1. replace all power supply electrolytics (weak voltage or current supply can cause erroneous actions),
2. check all carbon resistors for "out-of-tolerance" (resistors changing value change timing & power),
3. look for speed sensing and speed control circuit loose connections,
4. and bad solder joints any where... parts that get hot are the worst for bad solder joints.

Don't bother testing caps, just replace them.

I had to repair a 30year old 100w guitar amp that had a fried +&- 15volt regulator circuit that powered the power amp input stage (IPS) and powered the gain preamp circuits.
 The cause was there were 12 each 10uf, 25v tantalum caps in the preamp, they were all leaking current.
 The cure was 12 each 10uf, 50v, 105c electrolytics and replacing all regulator parts.

I have repaired many TVs and stereos where the power supply caps were leaking or shorted...
hence, changing caps was cheaper than the time to trouble shoot what was causing a problem.
 The parts are cheaper than labor time expended to locate most problems.

The above troubleshooting method is an accepted practice in good repair shops.

The objective is to make the unit last longer, not just "put a bandaid on it".

Edited by BAK - 08 Jun 2022 at 2:05am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 8:39am
Jon and Bruce,

I think I have to assume the guy knows what he’s doing have been doing it for many years.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 7:38pm
Thanks Ifor.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 8:07pm
Those ideas I had shared are not intended to make less of the technician's knowledge.

After 45+ years experience in repairing electronics, I still need and welcome an idea that will help with a tough problem. If any of my ideas can help with the repair, I'm glad to help, and maybe the tech would welcome them.

I do know about the need to get the easier-to-repair units finished, and set aside the tough ones, to keep money coming in. The tough repairs get attention 2 to 4 times a week to try different ideas.

This is just me... I'm here to help.
"Paying it forward"
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Those ideas I had shared are not intended to make less of the technician's knowledge.

After 45+ years experience in repairing electronics, I still need and welcome an idea that will help with a tough problem. If any of my ideas can help with the repair, I'm glad to help, and maybe the tech would welcome them.

I do know about the need to get the easier-to-repair units finished, and set aside the tough ones, to keep money coming in. The tough repairs get attention 2 to 4 times a week to try different ideas.

This is just me... I'm here to help.
"Paying it forward"
This is what this forum is about, Sharing our knowledge and helping others. I've had a lot more help from members here than I have probably given..
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 22>
  Share Topic