FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics linear trackers like SL-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Also  I picked up a second? hand Oyaide BR12 to try on my SL-DL1. It is 2mm thicker so the SRA would be about 1 degree shallower at the start of an LP then reducing as the BR12 is concave or dished. You need a clamp for this but there is limited space due to the low profile lid height and the edge of the dustcover overlaps the record label so a smaller than normal weight or clamp is needed. I dismantled the (spare) Michell clamp that came with my GyroDec and fitted a disk of 5mm acrylic. I used a hole saw to give me a 90mm diameter disk, countersunk it for the clamp to engage on the short spindle and superglued an M8 washer on top to centre the mechanism. It does the job on the BR12 mat and the stock mat, but I have yet to listen to records on it. If I like it I will probably but small holes in BR12 so the disk-size LED's can shrine through to the sensors in the lid. I will find a neat way to cut the holes or slots, assuming first that I like the sound compared the original mat.

I use this BR12 mat on my 1200MK7 with a Michell "R" clamp. Works great to firmly clamp the record to the platter and also flatten out certain types of dish warps. The thick mat also has a damping effect I like.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 7:44pm
Thanks David. Similarly I have the aluminium version (MJ12) for my SL1210 mk2 and it does a great job on there, I was shocked when I saw how the price has gone up in 8 years. Initially I popped that on my SL-DL1 just to check the extra height wasn't a problem, but I like the MJ12 on my SL1210 and wasn't drilling 6 holes in that for the disk size LED's under the SL_DL1's platter.

The BR12 is really nice and I agree with your points about the design. Whilst I haven't played any LP's yet, the BR12 absorbs any platter ringing so would expect similar control over any record resonances, especially as I'll be using a clamp. Also a Michell clamo but with a home made acrylic that ensures clearance from the underhang of the SL-DL1 lid and dustcover.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:20pm
I did the same on my SL-7's cartridge mounting, that is to drill out the near side so I can slide the T4P locking screw straight across and then just turn it into the threads on the far side.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:13pm
That modification makes locking the T4P carts much easier. I must admit in some cart comparisons I was just sliding them in without the screw.

I just popped an LP in the SL-7 and pressing the play button is so easy compared to cueing. Plus you get a bit longer to sit down before the music starts!
Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 3:18pm
This morning I searched for the T4P cartridge spec which filled gaps in my knowledge like it is 20mm from the back of the cartridge to the stylus. Morris Minor (Bob) had warned me that many P4's were not T4P, I see now it can mean compliance, SRA, and overhang may be wrong so not square in the groove. I know from pivot arm modelling the tracing arc and angular error of cartridges in Excel that a shorter screws to stylus dimension makes a difference, especially on the inner grooves. My SME arm has fixed screw holes not slots so a slightly different alignment results.
Jon

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:58pm

Some May remember my SL-7 with its runaway speed issue, discussed earlier in this thread. Six months ago I delivered it to a guy in Bolton hoping that he could repair it.  Today he emailed, “Hello Ifor , …It’s defeated successful repair so far !! , despite several attempts. I’ve seen a few of these before but this one is a weird one.

Let me know if you want to leave with me , or if you want to collect I’ll reassemble it”.

Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:17pm
Sorry Ifor. That is really bad news. I am curious what causes this loss of speed control to happen in one of these Technics but more sorry your SL-7 isn't running.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 22>
  Share Topic