FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics linear trackers like SL-7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technics linear trackers like SL-7
    Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 8:30pm
I have already been in touch with Morris Minor who knows about these linear trackers. I learned what my budget belt drives couldn't do when I got an SL1210 mk II, thanks to Graham's encouragement some years back. After a lot of work on mine and servicing other peoples I saw the precision engineering inside not just the workhorses we played in the 1990's. Today I got my first SL-7 and put a budget Audio Technica elliptical P-mount in it. It's bright even on minimum capacitance in the AccMM, thank you for the US -16dB setting. I shall give the AT some time but may buy a better cartridge in due course.

I was happy to pay for a VG example with smooth arm tracking rather than one needing a rebuild. Even with a service manual and lots of tools it is nice to enjoy something that works straightaway!

As usual  i am looking at moving at getting the 240V supply out of the chassis, Graham's wise advice paid off on the 1210. The SL-7 has a 12V dc input so it's a lot easier this time. Better drop leads would probably help. And I've also thought about the local voltage regulation and supply decoupling caps.a

Right now I'm enjoying some music. And not missing all the time spent on lateral alignment! It is literally plug and play with P-mounts.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:56am
I enjoy my SL-7.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 12:48pm
Do they still make the SL-7 ? I thought it had gone out of production some years ago. I have just been reading up on it and they say the parts are hard to come by and vary expensive.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:22pm
You are right Jon. Mine is a second hand item from the early eighties.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:36pm
I use to love my old Technics HiFi a CD player, Amp and Kef speakers. It was a well built bit of kit and a big up grade on the system I had before sound wise (and build) It looked a premium product too. Back then I had given up on Vinyl and tape, I did keep hold of some of my records but none of the tapes, I had no need to keep my tapes as I had bought a CD player for the car. I did like vinyl but I was more into compact cassette as you could play them any where. How things have changed for me I'm now back into vinyl in a big way, I still like CDs and still buy them. CDs are a cheap way of buying new music second hand.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm
Yes similar experience for me but I went over to ripping those cheap CD's to a music server, as well as many of my records.

I bought my SL-7 because of the linear tracking. Partly it is the big fix for the pivoted arm's arc geometry and alignments, partly I love the retro application of the latest cd player laser head servos to record players just as CD's were seen as the future. The linear tracking made me think of the wax cylinder recording and playback, so another century old piece of phonographics. The SL-7 is very clever tech and quite cute too!
Jon

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 5:01pm
I have ripped nearly all my CDs to 2 portable hard drives one of which is SSD, I say nearly all as I have just purchased a couple CDs and have not got round to ripping them. I was thinking of going into computer audio but I have now given up on it. Just using the hard drives as back up. One day I will get round to getting myself a Technics turntable, there is just something about them that appeals to me, that and a lot say good things about them sound wise and build. Build quality (sound quality) is important to me as I do tend to keep my HiFi a long time before an up grade, have not got the money to throw around. I like to spend TOO MUCH money on new music

Edited by lfc jon - 22 Aug 2021 at 5:04pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic