FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Help please - Audiomods 6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 7:26pm
Jon, I’ve got nowhere having thought I’d made progress. I changed the 10mm armboard spacer for a 6mm one and thought I had cracked it.
I removed the copper disc from the counterweight (the cartridge is only 6.3G), got the cartridge aligned and set the tracking force and then moved on to antiskate. This didn’t want to behave in anyway approximating to the instructions. While trying to attend to this I noticed that again the armlift, when lowered, doesn’t clear the tonearm, but it did a little earlier.  This with the micrometer at its lowest setting. I’m very confused!
Maybe some photos tomorrow. 
I should probably send an email to Jeff. He’ll think I’ma real numpty!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:04pm
I too am slightly puzzled. The relationship between arm and arm lift is fixed and should not be affected by the VTA micrometer. The IQ cartridge is not unusually squat. If the top of armboard to top of platter distance is correct then all should be good. Is the arm lift mechanism secure in the base plate and moving freely?
So many variables, it's difficult to guess what is wrong. As Jon said some photos might help. Look forward to seeing them.

Ian

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

The relationship between arm and arm lift is fixed and should not be affected by the VTA micrometer.
Not so!

Tomorrow I’ll revert to the 10mm armboard spacer, which should be the right one and start again.
Ifor
=====
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:24pm
Hopefully it will all drop into place tomorrow Ifor.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 9:52pm

Ifor,
What I meant was that the Pivot, arm and arm rest are all on the same baseplate, so their relationship are fixed. The micrometer moves that baseplate so should not affect the way the arm lift works.
The IQ cartridges are not unusually squat (or tall) so should be within the range of normal adjustment providing all the basic set up parameters are correct.
Good Luck with the set up tomorrow. Perseverance is the key!

Ian

Edited by BackinBlack - 01 Aug 2021 at 9:53pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:08am
Ian, you are indeed correct. Smile
Ifor
=====
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:06pm
micrometer at lowest position

Armlift down, arm still sitting on lift
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic