FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advice on phono stage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Way_toblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Way_toblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on phono stage
    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:03pm
Hello all, new poster here

I'm looking for some initial advice on a phono stage for my system. I have a Project Xperience deck (9cc carbon arm), Goldring 2200 with a Yamaha AS701 amp and Kef R3 speakers. I've just upgraded the speakers. 

The Yamaha I've lived with for years and its great but the internal phono stage is a potential improvement I'd like to explore. It isn't bad and I like the forward nature of the Goldring MI but suspect I could get a bit more refinement and detail from an external phono stage.

At that level of system what would your experience tell you would be best level of phono to try? Obviously I'm looking at GS- its recommended in lots of places and I like the British made/quality rather than marketing gimmicks approach.

I also note on the instructions for the 2200 it states that due to high output design the 2200 is best paired with an amplifiers internal phono stage. I'm assuming that just means it doesn't need an MC? Is there anything special about an M.I design that would negate the benefits of a phono or mean I should follow a particular path?

Because of their high output, Goldring 2000 series cartridges should be used with the standard moving magnet phono input of an integrated amplifier.

Thankyou for taking the time to read and look forward to hearing your views.

Paul
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 8:02pm
Hi Paul
Had a look on the Goldring website and it does say you should use a MM phone, so you are right.
Don't know much about your amp but I would say a good starting point would be the Gram Amp2 SE but looking at the price of the 2200 may be if you can up your budget 1 add a PSU1 power supply, 2 the Reflex M, They are both a good choice. I have a Ortafon 2M Bronze and with the Reflex M and PSU1 I am not looking to replace it any time soon. One thing you will notice with all GS phono's is the low back ground noise (pops and hiss) that was one of the 1st things I noticed. Why not try out the loan program for the price of P&P both ways you can try them out in your own system.

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:26pm
Hi Paul
   R3 - nice! I think if you’re shopping for similar quality, perhaps the Reflex M with PSU1 is the go? Perhaps borrow that and the Gram Amp and see which one best suits your system and needs. Then you know for sure and you don’t need to rely on the opinions of anyone but yourself.
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Way_toblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Way_toblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 8:19am
thank you for your responses. The Kef R3 are a treat and I want to do them justice. 

I will get in touch with the loan scheme and keep you updated on how I get on. It’s a great idea to be able to have a go before committing.
Blade View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 8:55pm
Ive had a GA2SE with PSU1 and a Reflex M with PSU1 - this Reflex M is a real step up IMO.

Bit more money too !

Enjoy

Glenn
L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 10:27pm
I used a Golding G2500 with a Reflex M and Revelation M (multi-eq version of Reflex) with a PSU1 and those preamps worked very well for me. So did the all other MM cartridges I tried in that period, I thought the music came through with a very natural sound and lots of details that I hadn't heard before.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic