FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What speakers do you use with your Proprius?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What speakers do you use with your Proprius?
    Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:06am
I'm finding that after a number of years without any such symptoms my 'upgradeitis' has returned and having ordered my propriuses I'm thinking about some new speakers.

I do quite a lot of my listening at low volume and so I'm after something that's Dynamic, rather than something that sounds full and lifeless until you whack up the volume.  I also like speakers that provide tight, low bass and that probably means a floor standing speaker rather than a stand mounted one.

What works well for you and what might suit me?

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:17pm
My current speakers are Monitor Audio Gold GX300's and I have used the Proprius amps with a number of different speakers. I have found like many others than the size of room is a big factor is speaker selection. I also like deep but not over powering bass and found the traditional spikes nailed the speakers to my floorboards which joined in. I fitted the Gaia III isolating feet which made a big difference for me.

I wouldn't want to guess what would work for you in your room but will offer some obvious advice in the hope it is helpful. Try different speakers at low volumes in a hifi shop listening room, a friend's house (not during Covid restrictions), or even better borrowed to try in your home.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 8:27pm
1990 B&W 620 80 cms tall 90db(36 LITRES)

Focal Aria 936 92db 110 metre tall(60 LITRES)

Focal Chora 726 87db stand mount (20LITRES)

yes, size air volume to size of speaker and larger DB less power hungry and allow better transient response ...but acoustic environment is significant ....

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:49am
I had the very great pleasure of hearing the new KEF KC62 sub paired to the KEF LS50 Meta last week. A friend just invested in the sub after having the Meta for a few months. It takes up almost no real estate, can be switched off if needed (he’s in an upstairs room above a bedroom, so doesn’t use it late night), and brought so much to the party. He spent a few hours integrating it , though.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:11am
I don't use Proprius (yet), but a lot of listening is at low volume and the Audio Physic speakers 
I use are excellent here - detailed & dynamic with superb imaging.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 11:37pm
Say I'd like to try a speaker driver array (all the same model/load) with the Proprius, what are the limitations of array wiring with the Proprius in terms of inductance, capacitance and impedance? Do you rapidly reach a point with series-parallel wiring where the driver response is adversely affected? Like four big CHR-120 woofers in series-parallel or 20 small Alpair 5 Gen 3 in series-parallel.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 6:47am
I think you'd be fine. As long as the connections are good the length of cables between your drivers is likely to be quite short compared to running cables across a room between the amp and speakers. But the drivers need to be close together to avoid 'lobing' i.e. peaks and troughs in level.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic