FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Speaker recommendations for Proprius?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:29am
I'd get the amps first and get used to them with your current speakers before looking to replace your speakers.

In my recent experience with a loaner scheme pair and three different pairs of speakers I'd say that while they could drive most speakers they sounded best with more efficient speakers so I'd steer clear of less efficient options.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 9:28am
My concern is your square room. It cost me dearly to realise just how much influence room shape has on the tonal response. I was aware of acoustics but didn't think it would have such an impact as it did. I'd had an extension built to the workshop, but I'd lost one foot off the width due to the construction method I'd asked for. The extension was to be my office where amongst other things, I could audition my work. I could not audition a thing! The almost equal height to width caused boom. My posh new office ended up being workshop space, and the workshop got partitioned off to become my office. Being a foot wider with the ceiling height six inches lower solved the boom problem. I used the Amroc calculator to find where to place the partition wall, which gave a room ratio that fitted the "Bolt" area and the "Bonello" response. I went considerably further than most would do to absorb the room mode pressure zones using BBC absorber homemade clones. The room modes are still audible but not as prominent.

There is little that can be done in a domestic situation, and I'm not suggesting you go to the extremes I had to go to. However, if your aim is for good sound, which I think it is, I would seriously look at ways to improve your acoustics. I would be thinking about losing three feet off one floor area dimension - perhaps by fitting something like this?

If you can't, then I'd go for a bass reflex whose port resonates anywhere but the strong frequencies shown on the calculator, somewhere between 70 and 90 Hz.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:59pm
Hi
  I run Accession MC direct to Proprius to drive a pair of PMC Twenty5.22. It’s fabulous! I agree with Graham about the square room, I’m sorry - just a month ago a I moved from a 6m x 6m room to a 8m x 5m rectangle. Holy cow! My system sounds a great deal better in every way. 
A friend built a false wall in a square room (made it a storage space) so as to have a rectangle for his hifi and it looks great. Cheaper I suspect than upgrading components or speakers to achieve the same improvement.
Good luck!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
RichardSwan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:48pm

Edited by RichardSwan - 04 May 2021 at 5:52pm
Origin Live Sovereign, Origin Live Enterprise (12"), Lyra Kleos, Accession MC, Solo Ultra Linear DE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

As the KEF Reference 1 are £6.5k, is the recommendation a few £k, or similar price to the Reference 1?
Thanks for your response. I don’t have a particularly good dealer near me, so I’m trying to short list based on recommendations and other factors and then sort out how to audition. The KEF Reference 1’s would be right at the top end of budget. Half that price would be better, but I would spend £6.5k if it was clear that they were my speaker of choice.
Origin Live Sovereign, Origin Live Enterprise (12"), Lyra Kleos, Accession MC, Solo Ultra Linear DE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Godra Godra wrote:

If you are already interested in KEF, I would take a look at Tannoy or Fyne speakers also. 
Thanks for this. I will investigate....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Bags Bags wrote:

I'd get the amps first and get used to them with your current speakers before looking to replace your speakers.

In my recent experience with a loaner scheme pair and three different pairs of speakers I'd say that while they could drive most speakers they sounded best with more efficient speakers so I'd steer clear of less efficient options.
What do you mean by more efficient and less efficient....? Where do my suggested speakers fit within this criteria?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic