FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A Well Trodden Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 6:33pm
The upgrade path continues.  I made the mistake of booking the loaner set of Proprius plus Majestic and interconnects.  My idea was to try the Proprius connected direct from my Accession or A*cam DAC then add the Majestic to hear the difference of the better DAC.  The Proprius didn't disappoint, such a smooth sound extending the bass down to levels I didn't know the Monitor Audios could tackle. The bigger change came from the Majestic. Obviously no difference to the analogue input but the digital was transformed. CDs from the A*cam player suddenly sounded 'alive and fuller. Trying HD download files now maked sense, as a source for real interesting listening.
I'm now on the build list for both Majestic and Proprius which just leaves a minor problem with the financial black hole getting bigger.  Must be worthwhileWink

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:55pm
Hi Mike, I had the same moment of 'where did the bass come from' when I connected the loan Proprius amps to my Gold GX100's. I ordered the amps before I sent the load unit to the next person. The Majestic came later and was great, I sold on two well reviewed DACs soon after my own Majestic arrived but it was still a fine investment in my opinion.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 12:35pm

A couple of months have passed and I think I'm nearing the end of my upgrade path. My Accession MM, Majestic, Proprius are set up with GS interconnects and I’ve had time to spend several hours listening to vinyl tracks like I've never heard them before. The overall system has gained approval from the boss for it’s ‘neatness’ with the Proprius mounted on the speaker stands. By pure coincidence I found the spacing of the feet on the Proprius are a perfect fit to the stand legs, okay using cheap clips might not be best solution but it works until I can find something better.

It's one thing to read other's reviews of the GS sound but the reality is just amazing. Apart from the fullness of the sound at relatively low levels what has really hit me is the spacial location on live recordings. Gamers may rave about 3D headsets but I reckon Graham has given us 3D aural goggles. I do have white noise hiss on the analogue path which I as bit excessive if I turn up the wick but John C has kindly offered advice to resolve.

With some judicious buying from dealers and eBay I've saved enough to make a Yorkshireman smile and have enough left over to buy new vinyl, which is what it’s all about after all! Maybe a pair of short length Spatia cables with be added at some point but now it’s time to sit back and enjoy.

Mike

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:25pm
You've done well there! I agree too about the 'reality' of the sound. If it is any help Mike I have my Proprius amps are on M3 hex spacers to get them off the carpet. I have my Proprius amps' level controls at about 1 o'clock (the S or bird's back wing) which gives me more range on the Majestic volume control and no issues with noise.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
Thanks Jon, good tip. Simple is best!!
Mike

Help with bass View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Help with bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 10:01am
Hello friends in GS, I hope no-one minds I post a dumb question here. Perhaps lazy rather than dumb as I haven’t fully scoured the forum for an answer so apologies if this is already settled:
Q:
Is there a consensus on upgrading the fig.8 mains cable for the PSU1 ?
I am using an Accession MM which is WONDERFUL but I am also always looking for a cheap tweak! Regarding the interminable ‘value for money’ debate, I would certainly be happy to throw £30 at it without fear of disappointment.
Thank you in advance, 
HWB
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 12:00pm
Dan, the first "trick" that often surprises people with the result is to try reversing the polarity of the fig 8 plug into the PSU1. i.e. unplug and turn through 180deg and plug back in. Worth a try and costs nothing!
There have been many discussions on alternative power cables, some show improvement in particular areas, often when the mains supply is noisy.
I put in "mains cable psu1" in the advanced search function which returned many relevant pages containing users experience of alternative cables.

Happy searching
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic