FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A Well Trodden Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Well Trodden Path
    Posted: 29 Aug 2021 at 12:43pm
When I got the sub shelfs I only had a CD player and amp, with the amp I noticed nothing and with The CD player there was an improvement but small, looking back on it now for what I had at the time the £45 each was not worth it for the improvement I got. I still use them for the CD player and now turntable. If I was to buy a sub shelf now I would only buy one for my turntable. I did a knock test on the turntable with and with out the sub shelf and with it I heard a lot less nose from the speakers so it does work. A mate has said to try out Blu-Tack on the feet of the turntable as he has found it work for him, may try that out and if it does not work for me it will cost me nothing as I have some already. Over all I am vary happy with the rack and speaker stands
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
Jon & Jon, 
Coming back to your earlier questions about stands and spikes / filling. I haven't tried either with these Targets, they are pretty light and the 3 tubes could (I think) be filled. Maybe something like lead shot ( or modern alternative), might be worth a try but I have to say I'm happy with the current sound so it would be a project to relieve winter boredom.

The only time I found difference in sound resulting from changing shelving units has been from the obvious turntable vibration isolation. It's a long time since I had an AR turntable, famous for it's advert hitting the plinth with a hammer to illustrate the platter suspension. Following that with a Rega gave all sorts of problems until it was isolated on  a shelf from Rega,that was a worthwhile investment.  My current Technics still uses the Rega shelf keeping it separate from all other GS units.

I think I go back to the old.engineering philosophy ' if it ain't broke...'.and try and keep tinkering to fully reversible trials that the boss won't notice.

Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 5:23pm
I have some light Target stands that were full of sand to stop them ringing, quite rigid frame but light so blutac was fine. My Partington stands are heavy duty and like putting the speaker on the floor so I decouple them. I suggest this test: knock on the top of the speaker and see if you hear the floor joining in.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 5:17pm
There needs to be some friction between stand and speaker.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 4:17pm
Jon
I won't say what forum I have been on but some of the crap that was posted on the this subject was unbelievable. One said that speaker stands were a waste of money and that he found  a carboard box was good enough. A lot did say that BASS was where the biggest improvement was found with good stands which is where I found the biggest improvement. As what you have said (heavy and rigid) a lot did say if you can fill them you should do so. I did like what one bloke posted, He made stands out of breeze blocks but said that his wife didn't like them but the improvement was worth the grief he got from her. As I said I didn't fill my old stands so may be the improvement I got from the new stands may have been smaller.
One thing I did agree with on this forum was the use of Blu-Tack I do remember using it on my old stands before I bought the rubber ones but, from blu- tack to the rubber I didn't hear a difference so I did waste my money.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 3:38pm
You are right Jon, those hard disks are to stop the spikes scratching or pitting the floorboards. You can get feet with a constrained layer in them or sprung like Townshend Seismic platforms or the Gaia III on my floorstanders. On my standmounts I put 4 sorbothane hemispsheres on top of each stand. They absorb the speaker movement.

I agree that the stand construction is important. Filling hollow stands makes them heavy and rigid, half-fillrd may sound better.
Jon

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 1:47pm
one thing I forgot to say was, I will admit I thought that the feet for the spikes were more to protect your wooden floor than anything else as I have only ever seen them used on wooden floors.
As I'm here as anyone ever heard any sound improvements made with equipment racks. I have had three over the years and have not heard any difference. I will admit that I replaced the first one on look alone and the third change was for two reasons first was the glass shelfs (on 2nd rack) were a nightmare for dust and the second was space, I did hear an improvement with the anti-vibration sub shelf used under the turntable, But that was small.
I'm not saying they don't make a difference but it must be small. One thing I would not advise is stacking your HiFi one on top of the other that's a big NO NO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic