FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 55>
Author
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 9:08am
Ok please allow me another take.....

There are CD's and Cd's ......billions @4 for £1...at many charity shop....but few of ' re-mastered' 20bit and few of 'Original recording'. The ' sound' can be ' night and day'.

Then there are CD players ....to extract the 16 bit .....I have opted to a dedicated Transport and 'Philips Mech Top loader'. It is also ' night and day ''' to a front light plastic tray with a plastic ex computer drive.

But had a 32 bit Digital to Analogue Converter .....that can re process the sound, up-scale and reconfigure the missing '' bit's'' and mine allows you 11 different tone .....from ''natural''   '' acoustic'' or another other you fancy even changing the very aura of the original recording.

Then Vinyl allowed HMC do resurrect from death with £20 a go .....digital Vinyl plastic .....the 24 bit digital Recording is pressed to a Vinyl via a digital lathe ......take your pick ..CD for £.25 pence in aplastic box or CD quality in £20. cardboard envelope with a photo and RIAA equalisation added to give a Vinyl as we used to know, Flavour.

Money money money it is the rich man world ...ha ha ha aha ....ABBA on CD or ......Money money money without the rich world men world @£20 HMV. Vinyl.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Mick
... and thought that internet radio was a hassle, you don't hear about it much but is that  because there is no demand for it I really don't know. I would of thought if the demand was there a lot more HiFi brands would be doing it
Both L*nn and Naim have their own internet radio channels. There may be more (I haven't really looked too hard). Where I live, FM and DAB reception isn't too good and having Internet radio available via my Raspberry Pi / Volumio / Bitzie (one of Ash's old ones) is really useful. This is straying off the original topic somewhat but what's new eh

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:13am
I will always favour computer audio over alternative solutions because of one thing: emulation

You can make a computer do whatever you want once you have the know-how. It can be complex or simple. Pure data is formless and doesn't require much effort for preservation.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 11:57am
I've just had a look at Radio 6 Music internet radio as received on my Raspberry Pi / Volumio setup and it says 128Kbps. That doesn't necessarily mean  that the source they play from is at that resolution though.
gwebster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwebster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by gwebster gwebster wrote:

I've just had a look at Radio 6 Music internet radio as received on my Raspberry Pi / Volumio setup and it says 128Kbps. That doesn't necessarily mean  that the source they play from is at that resolution though.
Interesting one - Classic FM Internet radio comes up as 128Kbps. Its station title shows as Classic FMMP3!
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Mick
Nice system, Does it play CDs or is it just to rip them to it. I see it plays Internet Radio, this is something I have not really looked into, is it any good?I wouldn't know where to start, could I do it on just a computer. I remember reading about it but that was a long time ago and back then I had a DAB radio in my system and thought that internet radio was a hassle, you don't hear about it much but is that  because there is no demand for it I really don't know. I would of thought if the demand was there a lot more HiFi brands would be doing it

Hey Jon
   Only plays back after ripping. Each CD takes three to five minutes to rip. Playback is better than any CD transport I’ve owned. As for radio, I haven’t gone there yet, but I will. All of the stations I regularly use are available. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 1:07pm
Remote streaming is a nice option to have and is great for finding new music. I do prefer local streaming for sound quality though. Saying that though, some FM radio stations transmit with really clear and musical quality.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 55>
  Share Topic