FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 8:24pm
I have been watching on youtube What is the best CD copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, first of all I didn't know there were so many copy's of it including remasters, a lot of which are from the band them self's or more to the point their record label. But the version they say is the best is the original Japanese version, they call it the "Back Triangle" why I don't know, my version made in the UK came fourth second was MFSL. Pink Floyd's remasters were not rated that highly "which makes you think" even the SACD was not rated as good as the Japanese copy. Before anyone says you got to get the original copy on vinyl, I have found this out for myself after buying a remaster of it a few years ago but that's another story. Thoughts anyone on this subject!!
The Japanese copy was made for export to the USA and was made from the original recording tapes

Edited by lfc jon - 31 Mar 2022 at 8:29pm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have been watching on youtube What is the best CD copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, first of all I didn't know there were so many copy's of it including remasters, a lot of which are from the band them self's or more to the point their record label. But the version they say is the best is the original Japanese version, they call it the "Back Triangle" why I don't know, my version made in the UK came fourth second was MFSL. Pink Floyd's remasters were not rated that highly "which makes you think" even the SACD was not rated as good as the Japanese copy. Before anyone says you got to get the original copy on vinyl, I have found this out for myself after buying a remaster of it a few years ago but that's another story. Thoughts anyone on this subject!!
The Japanese copy was made for export to the USA and was made from the original recording tapes

A lot of people will say those black triangle CDs are best for any album simply because they were very early gen CDs and are rare and hard to find today.

I don't think the Black Triangle discs are worth the money they go for now.

The truth is with a band like Pink Floyd, you'll struggle to find a really bad sounding version of any of their popular albums.

If you want something cheap that sounds excellent my advice would be to check the used bins for Doug Sax's remasters that he did in the early 90s. These were widely distributed and should not be hard to find at all.

The last batch of remasters on the band's label are pretty good on CD, at least the ones I have, which includes Dark Side.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:26pm
The version of DSOTM I have on CD sounds good to me WHICH is all that counts. I must say that the remastered vinyl record I bought a few years ago didn't sound as good as the CD I have, it sounded like there was something was missing (I ended up getting shot of it) and I got hold of a second hand copy which did sound better than the CD by a lot. The CD sounded cold by comparison "if you know what I mean" The Doug Sax one you mentioned was not rated very highly funny enough. One thing I will say is this is not the first time I have read that the remasters don't sound as good. I did know a bloke who collected anything Pink Floyd and he said to me it can be subjective as if like me you have the original vinyl copy you may not be hearing the flaws in it that you are now use of hearing, which is why sometimes artists remaster them.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:33pm
I remember the distortion on the school choir of Another Brick In The Wall not being on the CD. Housemate's CD but overall I thought my record sounded better.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

The version of DSOTM I have on CD sounds good to me WHICH is all that counts. I must say that the remastered vinyl record I bought a few years ago didn't sound as good as the CD I have, it sounded like there was something was missing (I ended up getting shot of it) and I got hold of a second hand copy which did sound better than the CD by a lot. The CD sounded cold by comparison "if you know what I mean" The Doug Sax one you mentioned was not rated very highly funny enough. One thing I will say is this is not the first time I have read that the remasters don't sound as good. I did know a bloke who collected anything Pink Floyd and he said to me it can be subjective as if like me you have the original vinyl copy you may not be hearing the flaws in it that you are now use of hearing, which is why sometimes artists remaster them.

A lot comes down to personal tastes and how picky you are. Not everyone is listening for the same things either. I will sometimes watch those shootout opinions but in the end I take them with a grain of salt since I have been reading people saying all kinds of stuff for years and I don't always agree with someone else's opinion.

In the end with different masters and versions I decide what I like.

As an example many years ago some folks were talking on a board about a particular German CD of Cream's Disraeli Gears. I found the CD cheap so I bought it and it was my only CD copy for awhile. Later I got others and realized that the hyped German CD was the worst sounding one IMHO.

Another thing is that some folks will just hype an exotic pressing for no reason and have no idea what they are talking about. Nowadays we have all types of software to scan different CD pressings and the lossless files but that wasn't always the case and some joker would end up hyping an obscure CD pressing from Japan or Germany or wherever that was *digitally identical* to a cheaper domestic CD pressing. Or in some cases there was a small level shift but it was the same digital master. Occasionally I still see people doing that.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:58pm
 It all comes down to what you like, it doesn't matter what others think. I'm not about to buy another copy of it as I like what I have. I have a lot of CDs and I don't intend to get a copy of all of them on vinyl (some didn't come out on vinyl anyway) I do have vinyl copy's but that is more to do with having an original copy that hasn't been changed to be put on CD "I did hear that this some times happened" why is beyond my understanding.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 4:19pm
I have been looking through my CD players (83000) manual which I haven't done since I first got it six years ago and was reading up on the digital filters it has, I'd forgot it had them. Has anyone had any experience with these filters or any other DAC or CD player with filters?
I have been using the default setting all this time, As I can remember just wonting to get my new system up and running and as I was happy with the sound I never got round to listening to them.
I was going to check them out today but my vinyl playing got in the way!!
I always use default settings as I'm usually too lazy to go through the other options or I think the other options are just gimmicks and not worth the bother.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 55>
  Share Topic