FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:50pm
Ash  
You have got me thinking now. I have CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray disks too. My DVD & Blu-ray player is not that good at playing CDs but saying that my CD player did cost over six times as much so it bloody well should sound better. I have not looked (much) into adding a DAC to the CD player and I am not sure if I can, at the moment I'm happy with the sound I'm getting.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:54pm
I'm so invested in my hi-fi now that I just want the best from every part. But I don't believe that you necessarily have to spend megabucks to get a top tier part. Speakers, for example, can go for thousands but I think they are mostly overpriced for what they are. You're usually paying for aesthetics and materials more than technical ability. I prefer to put a technically superior driver into a cardboard box, as an example. Another example is I don't really need my £3.5k MySphere headphone anymore as I think I can create a more enjoyable music presentation with speaker drivers that cost only about £200 per pair. Graham's equipment provides technically excellent results at fair and affordable prices, not like some of the extortionate stuff that charges big and brags but doesn't deliver. Disc drives are important but you don't need to take out a mortgage on them.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:22pm
My CD player is coming up to 6 years old and to me it still sounds vary good plus I have no issues with it so I don't wont to replace, at some point I may look into a new DAC but as I have said not sure if I can or how I would do it. There was a NAD player some years ago coming up to 7 years old and still on sale and one reviewer said it maybe old but it's still a very good player for the money so I think my player as still got some mileage left in it, one other thing is I use it less than my turntable so it's not a priority up grade. I would still like know if I can up grade the DAC, I'm going to have to look more into this.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:30pm
As you'll know Jon people usually buy a standalone DAC like a Majestic and link the CDP digital output to it. Loaning a Maj ans Cusat50 would a good test of what is possible without buying a hew transport. I had an 8200CD but prefrered the Majestic so suggest trying it
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:13pm
The Majestic DAC and Proprius monoblocks are a great combination. I upgrade everything around them.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:26pm
Ash
That's a combo I would love to have, I just haven't got the funds for it (pity) To better the DAC that's in my CD player it's going to take a lot of money which ever way I go. I'd rather spend on a turntable as that's what I play the most and I'm already saving for it.
Mikeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:00am
I found that playing my Cam****** CDX through the Maj made a vast difference.  I never imagined changing from inboard DAC to the properly designed DAC in the Maj could make such an improvement. I thought CDs lost a 'brittleness' and became far more listenable.  Think I'm spoilt for choice being able to rout vinyl, CD or streaming through the system leaves no prefered sound, just options for different moods.
Mike

Technics sl1210g with Victor U-2
Accession MM, Majestic + Proprius, Solo ULDE
Cambridge Audio CXC CD player
Lindemann Limetree Bridge streamer
Harbeth P3ESR XD paired with 2x REL t5x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 55>
  Share Topic