FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:09pm
I see today on my phone Rega have a new CD player coming out soon. The report said there is no sign of a streamer form them yet or if they are considering one. They will be marketing the new player as a digital hub as the company see that as the future of the CD player. The report also said they think a lot of companies will go down that route as they see CDs will still have a future with audiophiles all be it niche product they also said they can see more coming with CD player and streamers in one box. But the report did say that most of these will be mid to high range HiFi products
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
That sounds good from Rega Jon lthough I think quite a lot of hifi manaufacturers have already been down that route. I have owned a few CDP's that had digital inputs and analogue outputs, one with headphone amp and a volume control for the main output feeding power amps. The Majestic sounded better so it is in my system and the other stuff went.

What I'm seeing in the hifi press apart from expensive adverts is some complete systems, expensive combination of a CDP/DAC/preamp like above but with a streamer as well running off local/attached storage or network/internet, and including amplifiers. A posh music centre where you just add speakers.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 10:20pm
I don't buy mags like I use to so I've lost touch in HiFi trends. I only see what I get on my phone now a days. Some are saying that CDs will go the same way as vinyl when CD was the format to have. You were still able to get new turntables back then, They are saying you will still get CD players but you may have to pay for it and it will be the end of cheaper side of the CD players more mid to high end. So it looks like we may have to look after the players we have and up grade by way of a new DAC.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:12pm
One thing I should of added is maintaining an old CD players is going the be a lot more costly than a turntable if you are going to use it as a transport only. A CD, DVD driver is just not good enough for sound quality
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 10:35pm
My tip to all of us would be to get a service for your CD player now. If you are competent and confident open it up to see inside when it is in working order. Please only try this with the power off as the laser could damage your eyesight. But you'll still see what the mechanism inside looks like, where the rubber belts and wheels are. Alternatively find a good local repair shop and get your gear serviced before it breaks down!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:37pm
What's the difference between a "high-end" CD drive and a standard CD drive that plugs into USB or SATA? Mechanically, it's all more or less the same thing apart from which computer Instruction Set Architecture it is compatible with? Never really understood the multi-thousand price tags for basic/intermediate computing. For the die hard audio enthusiasts, you would think they would want to pick apart the internal workings of absolutely everything.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:31am
In short it will be a dedicated CD player mechanism with error correction running during playback. That said, I sold on my Audiolab CDP recently so I just use my Blu-ray player if I ever want to play a CD. It is connected to one of the Majestic digital inputs.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 55>
  Share Topic