FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 55>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Do any of you clean their CDs. I used to have a CD cleaner years ago so long ago I can't remember when, It was hand operated you turned an handle around, that's about all I remember of it. Now I only clean CDs that wont play or jump and I do it with a damp (water) cloth (it's not vary often) I can't remember hearing any difference after cleaning that's probably why I got rid of it or just throw it out. I always handle by the edges so never touch the playing surface. 
If any of you have heard a difference what do you use?
This post as come about after reading on the internet, someone cleans his CDs and claims he does hear a difference

I only clean CDs when they are visibly dirty. No specialized machine is necessary. You can use distilled water in a tiny spray bottle or something like eyeglass lens cleaner. Eyeglass wipes also work fine.

If I buy a used CD and it looks quite bad, I may wash it in the sink with lukewarm water and a tiny drop of Dawn or other mild liquid soap. Note that this should not be done with certain types of CDs, e.g. Nimbus manufactured ones because that will remove the printing on the label side.

As far as the claim that some sort of special cleaning improves the sound I find that very dubious. The only time there should be a measurable difference is when the CD is so dirty the laser cannot read it properly. Skipping and drop outs from very filthy CDs would be immediately audible.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 8:47pm
I only ever clean mine when they won't rip quickly :)

It's quite normal for the drive to be able to rip at a much higher speed after cleaning than before.

So that suggests that the error-correction in (non-ripping) CD players will be working harder with a dirty disc. Whether you'll actually hear any effect of that is a different matter.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2021 at 9:13pm
David
Now you have said it I think the cleaning solution was part Distilled water that was used with the CD cleaner I had. Your tip on using eyeglass lens cleaner is a good one and I have have plenty of it after buying A job lot of it (this will probably last me till I die) I don't know why I bought so much of it. I do use a lens cleaning cloth and the lens cleaning solution is good for glass and plastic lenses.
I am also vary dubious of any cleaning stuff that claims to improve the sound of a CD. It's not like anything is touching a it (It's not like a vinyl record) I don't think anyone on this forum would make a claim of such a thing I just thought I'd ask.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 2:15pm
I Google on my phone this claim that cleaning a CD makes it sound better and the answer was, I find no support for this. I then read further into it and there were others making this claim about sound improvements on the quality and the two forum sites I went on that people said it does, WELL the two were ridiculed for it. One HiFi dealer said he had looked into this years ago and had used stuff costing three figure sums and said while they did make the disks more readable there was not any sound quality improvements he also said the best way to clean a CD was to use water and a mild soap and two cloths one to clean and the other to dry off, Doing so in straight lines from the centre out
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 6:38pm
My mate went to a charity shop and bought 100 or so CDs for £20 just for three albums that he wanted, he said new they would have cost him over £30. He then sold the rest of them to a woman that makes art work out of them and other stuff. She bought them off him for £15. He put £5 into a charity box.
He said, Not a bad day I got 3 albums for £10 and two charity's made some money.
I'm going to have a look in a charity shop across the road from the pub I go to I know they sell their CDs for 50p each and see if I can pick up a bargain.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

My mate went to a charity shop and bought 100 or so CDs for £20 just for three albums that he wanted, he said new they would have cost him over £30. He then sold the rest of them to a woman that makes art work out of them and other stuff. She bought them off him for £15. He put £5 into a charity box.
He said, Not a bad day I got 3 albums for £10 and two charity's made some money.
I'm going to have a look in a charity shop across the road from the pub I go to I know they sell their CDs for 50p each and see if I can pick up a bargain.

Nice score there. I have occasionally purchased lots of 10 or more CDs to get a couple of hard to find or OOP editions of certain albums. Nowadays most CD sellers online in the U.S. list things individually so I haven't done this in awhile.

We have "thrift stores" here that are similar to your charity shops. Unfortunately most of them in my area have cut way back on anything audio related. Either people are not bringing that stuff in anymore (likely) or they are selling what they do have online (also likely).
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 7:07pm
David 
Here in the UK it seems that people just don't want CDs which is probable why charity shops sell them so cheap, which just makes you wonder why new they are so expensive. Vinyl on the other hand is a different matter, Charity shops are getting wise to it (good on them) and are getting experts to value them. Near to where I live there was a charity shop that was selling an album for a few £s and someone told them it was worth a lot more, In the end they sold it for £1200, I bet if a second hand record dealer had seen it they would have bought it and made a very big profit. Just over a week ago I had a few records I didn't want and the charity I gave them to (British Heat Foundation) have five specialized vinyl record shops in the UK and all I had to do was go on their website and download a Free post label and take the parcel to a local pick up point, ALL DONE
The second hand shop were going to give me next to nothing for them so I thought I'd rather give them away to charity, which is what I did
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 55>
  Share Topic