FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 55>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:08pm
It's the 'drive offset' you need to set. The info is near the bottom of the DR ripper setup page which was installed here on my PC C:/Program%20Files/dBpoweramp/Help/dMC/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

When I installed dBPA on various PC's it would ask me to start the process to get the right offset as you can see in the guide. I'm not sure how to reinitiate the process, sorry.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:58am
I don't have my portable CD drive at the moment, my son's borrowed it. I seem to remember that with the portable drive dBPoweramp asks to calibrate the offset each time you plug it in if it doesn't recognise the drive.
The explanation of offset calibration and the "how to" process is here:
It can also be found by clicking on the "CD Ripper Set Up Guide" on the main Illustrate help page, when dBPoweramp is open clicking on the ? at the top right will take you there
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:52pm
Hi all
the drive offset is done automatic, from what I have read it would not show accurate data plus the figures next it are the number of places that it has compared the rip from (in their data base) it says that even a figure of one is OK as long as it wasn't you that has but the data there.
So that's cleared that up. thanks all that helped me.
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

David
I can see the benefits of what you are saying I really can, but I don't know how far I am going with computer audio, My main reason for getting a SSD is for backing up my CD collection at the moment.
You are right about going for a major brand, I have heard bad things about going for unknow brands ie off ebay one of which was from a mate of mine who lost some important documents and said to me never again your better off spending the extra on a big brand.

Right, that doesn't really change anything though. Either way you get a portable SSD. However, if what I described sounds too complicated, just buy the brand/model that you are most comfortable with. Odds are it will be fine if it's a major brand and not an ebay special. It won't hurt to check reviews to see if recent purchasers are complaining about the drive failing prematurely. But yeah, most mainstream brands of SSD are pretty good.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi all
the drive offset is done automatic, from what I have read it would not show accurate data plus the figures next it are the number of places that it has compared the rip from (in their data base) it says that even a figure of one is OK as long as it wasn't you that has but the data there.
So that's cleared that up. thanks all that helped me.
Jonathan

Right, the numbers by the disc symbol simply correspond to the number of AR submissions for that particular disc and very similar pressings. Sometimes, even for a very popular album, you might have an "odd duck" pressing where there are not that many submissions. Sometimes, you get an album that no one else has submitted. In that case you will not get the little disc symbol but rather a green checkmark if the rip was done in secure mode and no errors were found.

I do recommend going into the settings and checking the box that allows for automatic creation of Secure Rip Logs. This is a text file that will go into each folder with a ripped album, and gives a full report on the accuracy of your rip. If you ever run into problems playing back those rips on the computer later, you can always refer back to the log. That will help you determine whether it's a hardware/software issue rather than the files you ripped.

Of course, if you do get an inaccurate rip in secure mode, the easiest thing to do at that point is to check the disc to see if it's clean and try ripping again. Some discs may have glitches due to bad manufacturing (rare, but can happen) and will never rip accurately even though they play back okay on a CD player. IIRC this is due to the interpolation function on a CD player that fills in or glosses over errors by inserting samples or silence. Out of thousands of discs, I've only had it happen with a handful, but it can happen.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:23pm
David is right, you get the option of going back later.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:41pm
Hi David
I'm going to look into Auto creation secure rip logs, that is good idea. Thanks for telling me.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 55>
  Share Topic