FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 55>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have made a short list of external SSD but can't make up my mind which one to go for?
List is - SanDisk Extreme V2, Western Digital My Passport (these are my preferred choice as I have had these brands before and found them vary reliable) Samsung T5 and T7. I am not interested in the security side of things as I'm only going to use them for music.
Any thoughts on which one to go for or is there any other suggestions I should put on my list?
One more thing, I like the idea of SSD being a portable one as I can take my music with me when out and about ie going to someone's home, this is the reason for not wonting security as I would need to load software to another computer to play my music (that's how I read it)

I can't speak to those specifically but any major brand should be okay, provided it's a current model without known issues. As I mentioned before, my strong preference is to buy a separate drive and portable enclosure, rather than rely on a prepackaged solution that comes with bloatware. It takes five minutes to put the drive in a portable enclosure and only a small screwdriver is needed. You'll have to format the drive but that is also easy.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:56pm
David
I can see the benefits of what you are saying I really can, but I don't know how far I am going with computer audio, My main reason for getting a SSD is for backing up my CD collection at the moment.
You are right about going for a major brand, I have heard bad things about going for unknow brands ie off ebay one of which was from a mate of mine who lost some important documents and said to me never again your better off spending the extra on a big brand.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:09pm
I look at computer back ups like Lord Voldemort and his horcruxes. The more you have, the easier it is to obtain (data) immortality as it is less likely to be destroyed. LOL
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 3:41pm
using dBpoweramp I have notice when ripping with accurate rip that I get some rips as low as 46% most are 94% or above should I be worried and will this affect the sound quality on play back? I only noticed this when on one CD I tried to rip it came up with a problem with the last track, but when I played the CD in my CD player it played OK. I know people say that ripping a CD in FLAC or WAV it should be the same quality as the CD and this goes for when moving the file from place to place, But as I'm new this this I'm not sure.
As for this said rip I played the file from only my computer using the computers speakers It played and seemed OK to me
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 4:50pm
Hi Jon, have you set the ripping options? Click on green menu button at top of dBPoweramp screen, then select "CD Ripper options. I use secure ripping as it "reads" the disc several times to help correct errors due to dirty, scratched or otherwise difficult to read CDs. You should also have calibrated the cd drive before use. As I recall dBPoweramp guides you through how to do this.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:18pm
had a good look but can't find how to calibrate my cd writer, had a look on dBpoweramp help page and still can't find anything
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:00pm
have posted on dBpoweramp forum on how to calibrate the writer so am waiting an answer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 55>
  Share Topic