FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 55>
Author
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 5:20pm
Was about to reply something along the lines of above from jwatson View Drop Down

Storage is (was) cheap so I use zero compression flac just to be able imbed the metadata but keep load on the puny pi cpu down.

Also I use a maximum embedded artwork of 500x500 as well.

TBH I have not tested that article with back to back tests but it sounded sensible and zero cost for me to adhere to , so I do.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 28 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 8:13pm
Hi All
I spent most of Friday And Saturday afternoon deleting files from my external hard drive (so that I can use it to store music only) as a lot on it I needed to keep I then put them in the cloud, Now I know the benefits of a NAS drive where you can store on one HDD and automatically save it to the other but they are expensive and that money to me is better spent on my HiFi of which I am doing as I'm in the process of replacing my cables with GS cables. Now what I'm asking, is a NAS drive better than a external HD or could I just use two hard drives, one to back up the other. At the moment I only see myself using the computer to back up my CDs and copying some of the files to my personal music player. In the future if I get more into computer audio that may change BUT THAT'S A BIG MAY BE so do I really need a NAS drive?
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi All
I spent most of Friday And Saturday afternoon deleting files from my external hard drive (so that I can use it to store music only) as a lot on it I needed to keep I then put them in the cloud, Now I know the benefits of a NAS drive where you can store on one HDD and automatically save it to the other but they are expensive and that money to me is better spent on my HiFi of which I am doing as I'm in the process of replacing my cables with GS cables. Now what I'm asking, is a NAS drive better than a external HD or could I just use two hard drives, one to back up the other. At the moment I only see myself using the computer to back up my CDs and copying some of the files to my personal music player. In the future if I get more into computer audio that may change BUT THAT'S A BIG MAY BE so do I really need a NAS drive?

Well, my first question is, are you talking about a NAS enclosure that takes HDDs inside, or are you just talking about the HDDs?

I personally use NAS grade HDDs, but I do not have a NAS enclosure for them. They get slotted into a docking station that looks like this:

There are many such docks available. Here in the U.S. prices start at $40 and go up from there. Just make sure they are compatible with the size drive you choose. I use 6TB drives. They get slotted in vertically, a USB runs to the computer and there is a power cord of course.

Now, you can always buy a set of NAS grade drives, use a dock for now, and then later migrate the drives to a NAS enclosure.

Remember that NAS means "network attached storage" and if you do not need the network aspect (e.g. LAN or WIFI network) then you do not need a NAS enclosure.

You can still use cloud backup with a NAS grade HDD in a dock. I do.

RE: external HDDs, I am not a fan of the type that come in an enclosure already. For example, the ones sold at Best Buy or whatever here in the U.S. They tend to be low quality drives, the enclosure is poor, and they often come with bloatware software I don't want to mess with. My personal opinion.

Now, if you buy a raw HDD, remember that drive needs to be formatted. It's not ready to use out of the box. Fortunately formatting is very easy following simple instructions online.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 5:09am
If your primary goal is backing up CDs, then I would suggest that individual external drives are better for you as they can be stored in geographically different locations.  (I keep two in the house in different rooms and a third in my office in a fire proof safe).  RAID can help protect in the event of a HDD failure but doesn't do much to protect against fire/theft etc.

You can obviously just copy files to a NAS at a later date if you ever feel that you'd benefit from networked access to music but you don't need one when you start ripping.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:40pm
Hi James
I was talking about NAS enclosures and HDD as a whole but as I said I'm just starting out with computer audio and I may just stay with  just backing up my CDs, I did say that may change but that is a big may be. As for network access I don't need or have a interest for that at the moment. My collection is about 300 to 400 CDs and I won't be backing them all up, To sum up what I was really asking, was a NAS drive more of a safer way of backing up then say a portable HDD or two. For some of my more valuable CDs I do know that saving them to the cloud is the best option.
You were on about RAID. question what is it and how does it work?
I know I'm old fashion but I do like looking at my CD and vinyl record collection and I am not going to stop collecting.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi James
I was talking about NAS enclosures and HDD as a whole but as I said I'm just starting out with computer audio and I may just stay with  just backing up my CDs, I did say that may change but that is a big may be. As for network access I don't need or have a interest for that at the moment. My collection is about 300 to 400 CDs and I won't be backing them all up, To sum up what I was really asking, was a NAS drive more of a safer way of backing up then say a portable HDD or two. For some of my more valuable CDs I do know that saving them to the cloud is the best option.
You were on about RAID. question what is it and how does it work?
I know I'm old fashion but I do like looking at my CD and vinyl record collection and I am not going to stop collecting.

The portable, plug and play drives vary widely in quality. It's tough to say without knowing about the specific model. NAS grade HDDs are typically made to last longer and be used more heavily before breaking down. Just remember than any HDD will eventually fail, hence why I have two HDDs, one a clone of the other, plus cloud backup.

Of course I am backing up ten times or more than the amount of CDs you are talking about, so take that into account. I would never trust one HDD to last forever. After 4-5 years of regular use, it's just a matter of time before they fail. Some will fail sooner than that. SSDs can also fail, which a lot of people don't seem to believe.

If your collection is small, it may make more sense to go with an SSD though. Portable enclosures for those are fairly cheap, and the prices on say, a 512GB SSD have come way down from where they were a few years ago.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 8:19pm
David
I was reading up on how long a HDD lasts and as you say between 4-5 years is what they are all saying as for SSD most were saying UP to 10 years. I have one HDD and I'm thinking of getting a SSD as a back up and then get a 2nd later as I can't remember when I got the HDD that I have. But I will use the cloud as that is the safer option for some of my CDs. the HDD I am using or will be using is a Western Digital Elements.
this weekend I will be starting ripping my CDs using EAC, I have found a step by step guide and I will have one laptop to read it from and the other to load the program and set up on (I'm glad I have 2 laptops) for me something written is better than a video.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 55>
  Share Topic