FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 55>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 10:23pm
That is good news Jon and I found ripping quickly goes from a new confusing thing to a reliable routine. I would endorse the multiple backups approach, I'd hate to lose my music collection or my photos.

Talking of trying new tech I'm trialling Roon at the moment, which others here have probably already got running well. I like reading the wiki lookups and extra metadata on my tablet and am considering phasing out my Squeezebox Touch Heart, although it is still running in parallel for now.

When see all the constructive and helpful advice in this thread it reminds me why I like being in this forum with all of you. Clap
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 10:36pm
Jon
this is something I should of been doing some time ago but never got round to doing it, now I have no excuse (now I've spent the money) this is the push I need. I just hope it goes OK, I can also put some of my music on my Hi-res portable which will be good for when I'm out and about. Can't wait!!!
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:11am
Good to hear that you've taken the plunge.  Getting started is the hardest part - the worst that can happen is a mangled rip, in which case, just delete the file and start again. 

EAC has sensible defaults so unless you have any specific reason to deviate I'd stick with them.  Just make sure you choose a lossless (I'd recommend FLAC) format at the default compression level and you're away.  I have a couple of hi-res players and and they've been a game changer when travelling around and staying in hotels.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
MS61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MS61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
I´m prefer EAC too, but you can try another good altenatives:
dBpoweramp Converter (paid software, very simple and intuitive)
or
CueTools Ripper (imagine simpler EAC, free soft)
----
Both programs (and EAC) use AcurrateRip/CTTDB!

Michal

P.S. In fact sharing of ripping "imprints" (hashes or so) isn´t foolproof but mostly works as expected. Rare or private medias - don´t expect miracles. M.
Technics SP15 / Audiomods 6 / SH-15B3 plinth / Audio Technica AT 150 Sa / Accession M / Genelec 8030 + RME ADI-2 Pro ADDA
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:01pm
Have just picked up my DVD writer today but it looks like I will need a USB extension cable to give it the power it needs, in the reviews of the writer it did say that this was something that Asus didn't mention, they did supply a USB Y cable to do this, but this is not a issue as I can get one at my local computer shop. Now all I have to do is convert my laptop from Windows 10S to just 10 as you may be aware 10S doesn't allow you load programs outside of the Windows store. This looks a simple task but I will back up what I have on this computer just in case (does anybody have any advice on this) This is something to do at the weekend.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 2:13pm
I got the DVD writer working. A bit of a long process as I also had to convert from windows 10S to 10 home so that I can download EAC but before I do I would like to know what file format I should use, now I have been on the internet to read up on this subject and I'm now a bit confused, I know I don't wont to use MP3 but which of these WAV or FLAC should I use, I have read that FLAC support is vary limited but they say that audiophiles prefer it (this is where the confusion comes in) but would I be better off using WAV, as you know I'm new to this computer audio thing but one thing I do know is that my portable music player supports both so what I am asking is which is best?
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 2:17pm
FLAC is what I use and what I would recommend. Lots of devices and software that supports it these days. If you are using eac, don't forget to do the gap detection on each disc. 

Edited by patientot - 25 Apr 2021 at 2:17pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 55>
  Share Topic