FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 55>
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:20pm
I'm not sure that I see any need for CDs that aren't related to nostalgia and a desire to have a physical copy. From a contemporary standpoint, using a spinning disk of aluminium to store data doesn't make sense.  When introduced, CDs provided a storage media using the technologies available at the time.  Nearly forty years later, several alternative storage media are available.  I'm not even sure if archival reasons count; I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC around three years ago and found a few that wouldn't rip accurately.  (That's not including the few 'copy-protected from the late 90's - DRM is not unique to downloads).  A close inspection confirmed that the surface was free of scratches but that the aluminium layer was discoloured (possibly oxidised?) in patches.  My current storage policy involves three USB drives stored in different locations (including a fireproof safe).  If this should ever fail, several download sites (e.g. Bandcamp and Bleep) allow you to repeat a download at any time, provided that they're still in business, of course.  

My music purchases for the last three years or so (bar one or two exceotions) have all been downloads.  The DRM issues of old (alluded to by Ash earlier) appear to be a thing of the past;  Bandcamp, HDTracks, Bleep 7Digital & Presto, among others, offer FLAC files unencumbered by DRM, often at a higher quality than red book 16/44.1.  Shipping costs (and lost CDs) are also a thing of the past.

For both ethical and practical reasons, I've not tried streaming.  I prefer that bands that I like to get paid for their work - streaming pays a pittance to smaller bands.  A more fundamental and practical reason is that none of the major streaming platforms covers the Middle East.  I travel a lot for work and don't want to have my listening dictated by Spotify's regional legal standing.

I'd like to see an improvement in the approach to playback software and feel that if the software/hardware could be improved, 'traditional' (i.e. older like me) would be more comfortable with FLAC.  The Holy Grail of software for me would be something that doesn't try to play all forms of media with a single application (no video, radio stations etc.).  I'm also not interested in playlists and don't use FLAC's tagging functionality but prefer to browse by folder (each folder representing a virtual 'shelf' of records/CDs).  I'd also like to see built-in support for the pdf booklets included with many classical releases (and a few Bandcamp releases) - these are easier to read than the books supplied with CDs, thanks to the ability to zoom on a tablet or PC. 
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:29pm
I see by a lot of posts that there is a dislike for CDs, Now as I have said I prefer to collect the physical side and that is not going to change, But I do see the good points of downloading and streaming. One good point for streaming is finding new music with out buying it and finding you don't like it. Downloads to me have been a bit hit or miss on the quality side of things, Plus some of my music I have found I can't find as a download and that goes for streaming too.
Is there anybody out there that can tell me how MUSIC LIBRARYS store their music, I do think I know the answer to this and it's going to be on vinyl and CDs mainly plus other old formats for stuff that is really old and can't be replaced and to keep the recordings as original as possible, That being said I would think that they would record old stuff to digital so it can be played (but what on?) I may be wrong.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:36pm
Just make sure that your CD collection does not suffer from disc rot.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:53pm
Kevin
Now I have heard about this and have checked some of my CDs for it and could not find any suffering from it, but I will admit to thinking it was a joke as when I first heard about it it was when CD had not long been out and at the time I thought how can they rot if the metal inside is covered plastic, I have also read that this was more to do with CD-Rs and CD-RWs.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:57pm
By the way I still think it's a joke but if someone can prove me wrong then so be it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:07pm
I store all my CDs in a cool ambient room away from direct sunlight and trust my discs as an archive.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
bass man View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:52pm
Never liked cd very unreliable unless cared for like a princess
Sound is too clinical and unrealistic
Analogue all the way 
Cassette in my opinion is the best format but love to play vinyl more
paul
am from Yorkshire tha nuz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 55>
  Share Topic