FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 55>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:10am
I agree with Mike. You find Jon that you play more CD's and streaming with a nicer sounding DAC. As you are really enjoying playing records I can see your reasoning makes sense. FWIW I found the Axxxolab sound very detailed but quite hard sounding, brittle would be another word for that. The Majestic is as revealing too, perhaps more so as different instruments are in their own space in the mix, and it is much nicer to listen to at any volume level for me.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:54pm
Jon
It was the detail that I wonted which is what I told the dealer when I 1st got my system almost 6 years ago (CD player, amp and speakers) and he chose the CD player and amp then I got to chose which speakers I liked out of three, Much as changed since then and now it's only the CD player that I still have. At the time it was a big up grade on what I had and I was very happy with it, Both the CD player and amp were new out at the time and with the budget I gave him he said he you would have to spend a lot more to get an improvement. I was happy to take his advice and to me he didn't do me wrong. The next CD player up was £300 more and he said I don't think it's worth the extra, By the way the one he picked out that he thought was a lot better was £800 more but that would have put me well over budget.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:04pm
I like the Majestic and Proprius so much that I will probably buy a second set with the funds I will get from selling my headphone. After not using headphones for a long time, I prefer to listen with open baffle speakers. Much more depth.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
Ash 
What about late night listening? Just thought I'd ask.Evil Smile
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:03pm
Turn the volume down and move the speaker cones much closer to the head. A lovely pure sound, single suspension cone, wide dispersive emittance, no crossovers. Proximity effect bass means I won't bother anyone else in the house. Stereo imaging so much better than with headphones. Binaural recordings (for headphones) have even greater depth.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
Just been reading about CD revival, On what record shops in Norwich are saying about it, A lot are saying they have seen an up turn in sales in the last five years (second hand) But one thing that stood out was the top prices of some CDs that were sold on Discogs one of which that took my interest was Roger Waters-The Wall which went for £1349 Now I have tried to find out more about this CD with no luck. The reason I'm interested is I have Pink Floyd - The Wall on CD (made in Japan) and was just wondering if this CD is what they are talking about, I did get it when it first came out on CD not that I wont to sell it just curious. So I thought I'd ask about it on this forum
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:37pm
Norwich has some fine record shops which I enjoyed visiting when my brother lived in 'Narch' - the lanes and Magdelane Street. Nostalgia drives CD sales I think as it did the rising record prices over the past decade. Over a grand for a cd is scary!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 55>
  Share Topic