FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 55>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 7:20pm
Jon,

CDs are a tough sell here as well. The main market for them is online now and very few record shops sell them anymore. There are a few that do, but the stock is generally small. There is only one shop out of several within a 1 hour drive that has a large selection of both new and used CDs in my area.

Some of the thrift shops here will just offload stock to flippers and record stores, so anything worthwhile is picked over if they do have records at all. And no one wants all those Streisand, Mantovani, etc. albums so they just collect dust. I pretty much stopped going to thrift stores for vinyl here years ago as it's usually a waste of time.

The last time I got any CDs from a thrift shop was at least a year or more ago now.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Just over a week ago I had a few records I didn't want and the charity I gave them to (British Heat Foundation) have five specialized vinyl record shops in the UK and all I had to do was go on their website and download a Free post label and take the parcel to a local pick up point, ALL DONE
The second hand shop were going to give me next to nothing for them so I thought I'd rather give them away to charity, which is what I did.

Thumbs Up
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 8:50pm
What you call thrift shops in this country too, A lot don't want CDs anymore they just can't sell them. I had a look Saturday night just from the window into  one next door to the pub I went to and they had loads of Box's of CDs covered in dust I bet they have been there for mouths maybe a year or so. There was that much dust on them. In the end I can see them just going to land fill.
I had a look about recycling them and the answer is YES. They have aluminium,  polycarbonate, Gold in them and if they are put into land fill they will stick around for hundreds of years before they start disintegrating. In addition, they can also release Bisphenol A, which causes various heath complications. Well that's something I didn't know NOT GOOD
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 7:31pm
I have just converted a ripped CD (FLAC) to mp3 and put it on a USB stick so I can play it in the car, so easy with dBpoweramp, I can recommend this software really easy to use and not too expensive (one off fee) I'm so glad I got it. Now to see how I get on with ripping vinyl!!!
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 3:18pm
Just been reading an article on CDs well the subject started on about streaming this bloke said is it time to dig out your CD player. He went on to say that he had been listening to some new bands he had not heard of before on his stream service then a few weeks later he had forgotten who they were and some bands he was into had been taken off his streaming service, He said if I had the new bands on CD he wouldn't have forgotten and fortunately the bands he was into he had on CD. He said the trouble with streaming you need a phone or internet WiFi access to play your music with CDs you don't and you can play them almost any where but if like me you don't have a CD player in your car that's easy just record them to a memory device of some sort. He also said if you wont CD quality or better you have to pay extra. He ended his article with, I for one will be putting my CD player back to good use and saving money and leaving streaming to hunt out new music. 
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:28am
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Some of the thrift shops here will just offload stock to flippers and record stores, so anything worthwhile is picked over if they do have records at all. And no one wants all those Streisand, Mantovani, etc. albums so they just collect dust. I pretty much stopped going to thrift stores for vinyl here years ago as it's usually a waste of time.  

In the same sort of vein...

I'm having to spend about half of each month away from home to cover a family issue. Consequently I've had some free time to explore a few Norfolk charity shops. They, and I imagine all, UK charity shops are finding it impossible to shift DVDs. The problem of course is not quite that no one wants DVDs, rather it's that no one want the same old same old DVDs which are piled up in every charity shop you visit. I suppose there are about a hundred titles you see in every one of them, often in multiple copies.

This has given rise to an amusing difference in price, with one shop I visited having a sign offering DVDs at £0.25, and music CDs at £0.50.  Mind you, looking through the CDs, there is more often than not nothing of interest there either, though I find there is more variety of unwanted stock between shops.

I did have a stroke of luck a few months back. Whilst browsing the vinyl in one charity shop, and wondering just who the heck it was bought the rubbish in the first place, someone walked in with a box of records. The assistant brought them round and thought I might like to look at them. I walked out later with a pile of jazz LPs and EPs which included Sidney Bechet with Sammy Price and his Bluesicians, Chris Barber’s Jazz Band with Ottilie Patterson and others in the same vein, also an EMIdisc acetate of a Rolling Stones export EP. I had to dig deep to find the £1.25 demanded for each LP and the £0.50 for each EP, mind. Big smile  But such luck, and indeed finding anything of interest at all, is becoming increasingly rare...

Happy New Year everyone!

Edited by TheScorpionsTale - 01 Jan 2022 at 11:29am
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 4:33pm
I have just got hold of a CD, This album never came out on vinyl and is unlikely to be on any streaming services, there must be more music like this, this is probably the same for vinyl as well. So if us that collect music on CD, vinyl or even cassette stop doing it then a lot of music could be lost for ever or at lest never found. I'm not against streaming it is just not for me, it's just that most steaming services are only going to make available music that the majority are going to listen to. So like most of us on this forum and others keep collecting weather on CD or vinyl (I don't think any of us are interested in cassette) because we are preserving music for the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 55>
  Share Topic