FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 8:45pm
I have had a problem when ripping a CD of David Bowie, the singles collection (it came out in 1993) When I tried to rip the 2nd CD it got to the last 2 tracks and just stopped, tried it twice same thing so I gave it a clean but the same, when I had a good look at it I noticed the label side was peeling off.
I am just wondering if any of you have had this issue. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:37pm
Luckily I haven't had that experience Jon. But I have seen a goalkeeper save the day by scoring...

Edited by Fatmangolf - 16 May 2021 at 8:38pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I have had a problem when ripping a CD of David Bowie, the singles collection (it came out in 1993) When I tried to rip the 2nd CD it got to the last 2 tracks and just stopped, tried it twice same thing so I gave it a clean but the same, when I had a good look at it I noticed the label side was peeling off.
I am just wondering if any of you have had this issue. 

I don't have a copy of this particular set but as I mentioned before, it is possible to get the occasional defective disc that develops problems over time. Maybe check the bottom of the disc and see where it was pressed if the info is listed.

Label peeling should not affect the ability of the disc to read unless some of the data layer is being peeled off with it. Take the disc and hold it up to a bright light. If the light shines all the way through that means the data is gone on that part of the disc. If you don't see that, one thing you can try is taking a black permanent marker and coloring the top of the disc in the areas where the label has flaked off. Make sure there is no piece of label sticking up or protruding. You only want to do this on the label side, NEVER the playback side. Then try re-ripping the disc.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:42pm
David
tried the black marker Sunday and it worked so I'm happy.
I was just interested to find out weather anybody else had had the issue to see how common it was.
So glad I'm now ripping my CDs, had been trying out dBpoweramp for free and have now purchased it today, I am really happy with it. Still not sure how far I am going to go with computer audio? But at less am not going to lose my music (on CD) collection that I have spent a lot of money on over the years.
Funny how they said CDs would last for ever.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

David
tried the black marker Sunday and it worked so I'm happy.
I was just interested to find out weather anybody else had had the issue to see how common it was.
So glad I'm now ripping my CDs, had been trying out dBpoweramp for free and have now purchased it today, I am really happy with it. Still not sure how far I am going to go with computer audio? But at less am not going to lose my music (on CD) collection that I have spent a lot of money on over the years.
Funny how they said CDs would last for ever.

The truth is, we don't know with 100% certainty how long a given CD will last. Manufacturing was supposed to be standardized, but over time we found out that wasn't the case. Certain plants would do things differently because they thought they knew better, sometimes they got bad raw materials from a supplier, or they dropped the ball and screwed up.

Often these problems don't manifest until many years later. RE: label peeling, I think I've only encountered a couple over the years that did that. I've read that the Nimbus UK plant had problems with their labels. Over time they would get sticky and flake off. Most of the time it doesn't affect play, but can in some cases. I normally clean discs with mild soap and water or use eyeglass wipes when I need to, but you want to be careful using any sort of liquid on the Nimbus discs.

Edited by patientot - 17 May 2021 at 9:24pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 10:50am
I've also been extremely lucky with CD quality with only one that has 'bronzed' & no peeling labels
in a collection of several hundred going back 35 or so years.
In reality CDs will undoubtedly last longer than a hard drive with an average lifespan of 3-5 years.
Backups are recommended. Smile

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:16pm
Got the itch to take computer audio further yesterday when doing some ripping, Had a look what I have put on my two hard drives and thought, I could just listen to some of that as background music as I rip my CDs. But I have a problem with it, WHEN I'm doing something and a bit of music I really like is playing I stop what I'm doing and listen (I can't help myself) then I don't get anything done and I just have to put something else on. BUT that itch is not going away.
By the way I have more CDs on the way and some Vinyl, the vinyl will be coming my way next mouth, ordered by way of click and collect so I'm bound to buy something else when I collect them.
 IT'S GREAT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO A RECORD SHOP now the lockdown is easing. I'm not going to stop buying CDs for me they still have their place in collecting good music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 55>
  Share Topic