FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 55>
Author
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:45am
Starting with your existing HDD is a good idea as you may find that once you have a few rips to hand that you find yourself exploring file based music further (in which case a NAS may be in your future) or using the rips as a backup (in which case external drives / cloud storage would probably suit you better).  An allowance of 350-400MB for a 14/44.1 album would probably be a good guess for starters.
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 12:23pm
downloaded Exact Audio Copy after 10 CDs I found one to configure but before I could do it the CD pops out of the writer this happens all the time so I tried a rip with Power2Go 8 (this came with the Asus writer) but with this I could only rip to WAV, But it did work. Now I have checked the writer and it says it's OK. So now I don't know where to go, I would be happy with a WAV rip but I like the idea that EAC checks out from a data base so I get the best quality.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong? 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 1:30pm
I should of ended my last post with, This is not a good start to computer audio, It's making me think that this is not a good idea and just ripping CDs to have a copy to keep is what's best for me.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:44pm
A standard compact disc has a capacity around 700MB so that is the uppermost end and it has uncompressed data so the actual size will be less than this. So into 500GB... which is 500,000 MB... I always get confused whether I multiply by 1000 (orders of magnitude) or 1024 (binary code).
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

downloaded Exact Audio Copy after 10 CDs I found one to configure but before I could do it the CD pops out of the writer this happens all the time so I tried a rip with Power2Go 8 (this came with the Asus writer) but with this I could only rip to WAV, But it did work. Now I have checked the writer and it says it's OK. So now I don't know where to go, I would be happy with a WAV rip but I like the idea that EAC checks out from a data base so I get the best quality.
Any ideas where I'm going wrong? 

I used EAC for many years and never encountered that problem. I don't know what the issue is. Maybe write EAC through their website, or try a different disc to configure EAC with. I would also check that your version of Windows is up to date, and that your CD/DVD drive has up to date drivers.

If you want to try something else, you can download the free trial of dBpoweramp. They have instructions and a robust support forum. I think the program is much easier and faster to use than EAC, which is why I switched a few year ago.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to rip a CD, but if you've never done it before I could see how you might run into problems.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 8:41pm
+1 for dBPoweramp. I've used it for years (started with release 7 or thereabouts, now it's at R17.3) and not had any real problems apart from those of my own making! Wink
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:25pm
Sorry, I forgot to say I have used dBPoweramp for some years using generic CDR/DVD drives and I would recommend it highly.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 55>
  Share Topic