FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CD Audio
    Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 10:35am
Does anyone think CD will make a come back of sorts like vinyl has? I have been reading online and this bloke was saying that CDs (sales) will still be around in 30 years time, his main reasoning for this was that people still like collecting music and like being able to hold it in their hands and seeing their collection of albums just like vinyl records and also the sound quality is still vary good compared to a lot of downloads and streaming sites. What I think he was saying was that looking at your music collection on a screen was not the same as seeing in a rack. I know I like showing my music collection and being able to hold it in my hands. Most of us on this forum play and collect vinyl but to me it's not the same as a CD collection vinyl as something about it. I have more CDs than vinyl so I still have a need for a CD player, plus I have a lot of CDs that I just can't get on vinyl and looking on streaming sites they are not on them as well. I don't hold fully by his reasoning but I do think he has a point. I'm also not sure about CDs sales being about in 30 years time. But saying that they did say vinyl was a dead format and that has made a big come back so you never know? I'M JUST NOT SURE it'll be the same for CDs
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:50pm
For what it is worth ......CD Redbook only allows 16 bit at 48 frequency and MP3 audio standard has  improved to reach almost CD sonic quality. CD was initially designed as a storage medium and Philips one bit player was bought for it's convenience and clean sound but the sonic limitation wore off ten years later and needed new Clock, new Power supply,  now DAC as a seperate component to get it's best. The laser disc reader and decoder system along with the tray drawer or other has changed and Philips mechanism is no longer manufactured. Current CD Players are for people who have a large collection but my view save your money ......New generation Players are on their way but Not as we have known it...I believe an Upgraded CD as the DVDAudio format in misfortune to take advantage of the new higher resolution is being debated 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:36pm
You make good points about owning a physical product, albeit with small artwork. I have stored my CD collection away after ripping it in a lossless format. I have a CD player but very rarely use it. I still buy CD's but almost always rip them and listen to them on my Squeezebox Server and Touch, connected to my Majestic DAC. The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them but they are not the same as the 12 inch artwork of an LP!

Like Sylvain I think digital encoding playback has come on a long way in recent years so most compressed formats sound reasonable. They aren't lossless (I think of Pete Waterman's sliced bread metaphor about digitising music, the loaf is shorter because of the crumbs on the floor) but A lot of produced music is quite in your face so perhaps there is less to lose? I can remember some rough sounding CD players (and productions) in the 1980's. I stuck with vinyl and kept my records but eventually I did buy a CD player in the 1990's...

Before streamng you had to have physical media or listen to the radio. Most people had stereos, few had hi-fi's, [FF through the rambling...] and compact portable systems are smaller and better sounding nowadays, if used correctly!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them
Your eyes are that good? Mine aren’t.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:46pm
I think some of you are missing the point (sorry) what this man was saying was a format as a physical product something you can see and show off which you don't have when streaming or as a digital file, something you can say this is my music collection and let a friend or someone browse your collection of VINYL or CDs. We here on this forum are all about sound quality that's a given, we would not be here else. I collect books and watch's besides my vinyl and CDs. I do like to look at them and say I own this. I don't have to play, read or wear  them it just gives me pleasure in just looking. I would not get that by looking at a screen.
That's the pleasure (owning) of collecting, if you see what I mean.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 7:54pm
I don't use a CD player, but I occasionally buy CDs. They get played once in my DVD drive to be ripped as FLAC or WAV using Exact Audio Copy freeware. The CDs then go into storage. I only ever read CD/album sleeves for information such as lyrics where provided or the release date. I'd be no good at music quizzes. I could play CDs when I drive, but that's so seldom that when we do go out, I'd rather talk and be able to hear the engine or insult the satnav if on a rare long journey. 
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The little booklets inside the CD cases are informative and I do read them
Your eyes are that good? Mine aren’t.

No they aren't. I'm in my fifties. I read the booklet whilst doing the rip.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
  Share Topic