FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CD Audio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 55>
Author
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:44pm
I'm afraid it's a myth that you need a dedicated (expensive) CD mechanism to do error correction. At least, error correction for read errors according to red book. To be readable as CDDA, discs have to have pits burnt into an error-correcting encoding. All players have to be able to read and decode that format.

Wikipedia - Reed-Solomon, Eight-to-Fourteen modulation. 

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:38pm
For computer ripping I think the software does the work checking the disk offset and what have you so I expect a decent internal or external drive should be fine for ripping CD's. I play many more records than CD's, probably hundreds to one as I rip and stream my CD's now.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:53pm
I should add, that I know you can get DAB for cars with out but with the time I spend in my car it's just not worth it. Have any of you got DAB in their cars, is it still as bad as it used to be for radio reception. The last time I was in a car with DAB it was not good but that was a fair few years ago. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:43pm
I know a lot of CD players do use computer drive parts in their mechanisms but it's the error correction that's needed for good sound quality plus other things. But I do think CD players are going to be around for a fair while yet. There are still a few manufactures that are coming out with dedicated CD players but as I said not at the cheaper end of HiFi.
So I'm not going to panic just yet.
I will admit I don't use my CD player as much as I do my turntable, other than the CD player in the car. I don't have DAB in the car and most of the stations I can get don't play the music I like plus you get adverts, phone in competitions, the news and DJs talking crap.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:07am
I have been considering a Blu Ray drive for my computer for a while now, to rip/play CD/DVD/Blu-Ray discs. Not sure whether I should go for internal/external or USB/SATA. Thinking SATA so that the data bandwidth is not shared like it would be on USB and I would be able to use a dedicated 5V power supply for the data line, whilst powering the mechanical aspect with the 12V from the PC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 6:31am
In short it will be a dedicated CD player mechanism with error correction running during playback. That said, I sold on my Audiolab CDP recently so I just use my Blu-ray player if I ever want to play a CD. It is connected to one of the Majestic digital inputs.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 11:37pm
What's the difference between a "high-end" CD drive and a standard CD drive that plugs into USB or SATA? Mechanically, it's all more or less the same thing apart from which computer Instruction Set Architecture it is compatible with? Never really understood the multi-thousand price tags for basic/intermediate computing. For the die hard audio enthusiasts, you would think they would want to pick apart the internal workings of absolutely everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 55>
  Share Topic