FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Birthday Present for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birthday Present for me
    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:39pm
LOL  Given lockdown blues, I hope I find you well and fingers crossed we get to freedom this yearThumbs Up

I have a significant birthday next month and my wonderful wife Heart has given me a budget that puts me in the upper range of the GSlee product range Tongue 

So, given this fortunate situation, where would you suggest I place the investment, in the front, middle or end of the system?

Current system includes: Simplex deck - Accession MM - Dac/pre of a different supply- followed by Ar??m 8P power amp into Omega high efficiency speakers.

In the front:  More vinyl, new deck, a move to (the dark side) Moving Coil, or PSU upgrade...Moving coil is an itch that wont stop itching and this maybe the point I can "justify Big smile" the jump. 

In the middle: Power amps...(I've borrowed the Proprius amps and was very impressed).

At the end: Speakers, room acoustics or maybe headphones...

Bang for the buck, which direction would you point me?

Thanks,
Brian
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
I would go for a change of amplifier. The Arcam 8P is quite possibly the weakest link in your system.
I have an 8P, 9P and a 10P in my collection, and the Proprius sounded better than any of them when I compared them.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:34pm
Hi Brian
First of all. If you were impressed with the Proprius WHY not go for them, You know what you are getting as you have tried them for your self.
2nd As you are using the standard power supply with the Accession MM then a up grade to the PSU1 Enigma would be an option, Then you have money left over for more Vinyl.
3rd If you have an itching for MC  why not go for the Elevator EXP Step-Up Amplifier and cartridge. 
4th BLOW THE LOT ON NEW MUSIC
I know this is not pointing you in the direction of, bang for bucks, But if this were me I would go for the Proprius as like I said you know what you are getting for your money.
I think a turntable up grade would be the last thing on my mind, I don't think you would get the best bang for bucks going that route IMO.
Happy Birthday in advance.
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 10:31pm
Brian
one thing I didn't mention was headphones, I think that splitting your budget between an headphone amp and headphones WOULD give you bang for bucks, a good starting point is the Solo amp. A headphone amp IMO would be better than most built in ones.

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:34am
My preference would be to buy a high fidelity headphone and plug it into a laptop headphone socket than to buy a quite poor fidelity headphone and plug it into external equipment. For me, the thing directly producing the sound contributes the most enjoyment.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:43pm
Brian
I have just read ASHs post, have I missed something here am I right that you are using a turntable as your source and not a laptop? If you are using a laptop then the Bitzie USB DAC would be the one to use.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:51pm
Sorry my bad, I didn't read that it was a vinyl-only system. My point was that I would personally prioritize headphone/speaker "quality" over all of the electronics, as I would be using it to judge the abilities of the electronics.

In other words, out of all the audio equipment I still own, if I could only keep one item, it would be the headphone.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic