New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Accession MC Feedback and Electronically Repro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New Accession MC Feedback and Electronically Repro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Speculator66 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speculator66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Accession MC Feedback and Electronically Repro
    Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:47pm

I thought that now, after my Accession MC has been burning in for a while (since 17 Feb), it was high time I reported back.

I haven't used it for over a week so it's just sat there on burn-in. Sometimes other things get in the way.

Wow! What a difference. The soundstage has widened out and there are so many things that I am now hearing as individual instruments. Play an orchestral record and you can place each instrument. Now I can't read while listening as I hear something new and have to sit up and concentrate on the music.

I previously mentioned violins sounding a little strident but this has gone.
The woodwind now sounds so smooth and there is an added depth of sound.

But a question.
I played that Bizet record again and noticed something strange.
As I sat there, that instrument separation and positioning came home to roost but this was because I listened to flutes running down the scale from a high note and they appeared to move across the stage.
Now i've listened to this record many times and on several systems and never heard that effect before.

I looked at the cover but this had no information other than the conductor - Willem van Otterloo
It was on the DG "Privilege" Label.

When I removed the record it said Produced 1962 and was in Stereo.
I suspected that this was originally Mono and was reprocessed for stereo. This has turned out to be the case. 
There are various ways of reprocessing for stereo and one of these uses boosting or cutting different frequencies to create an image. I am guessing that this is the case with this recording.

Well, i'm not sure this works for me and I may have to listen to it in Mono now.

You see, sometimes better may not be, well, better LOL

Any Observations ?

John

Pjct Xtension9 Superpack, Ortofon Quintet Black, Accession MC, Arcam A39, Celestion 66
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:42pm
Mono is best left as mono because once it is manipulated to sound stereo, the damage cannot be undone. It cannot be put back to mono by adding left and right because the additive frequencies become four times the subtractive frequencies' power.

In a stereo recording, the additive frequencies appear double the subtractive frequencies, and properly recorded will reproduce to sound natural.

Play the same stereo recording using a mono sum switch, and the additive frequencies (the central image) over-dominates, with panoramic images vastly subdued, often resembling a "tunnel" or "submarine" sound effect.

The dawning of stereo records led mono AM broadcasters to experiment with true mono. Unfortunately, the left and right sum add to give +6dB and not the +3dB the stereo effect produces through loudspeakers. The only way to add the left and right signals and result in +3dB is to push the phase of one channel out by 90 degrees.

The 90-degree phase shift is achieved by an all-pass filter but is only accurate at its tuned frequency and reverts to 0 or 180 degrees within a decade. This meant that both left and right signals had to be all-pass filtered with the tuned frequencies stepped apart a decade.

The result satisfies the power level problem, so the mono reproduction appears to share the same power levels as it does in stereo.

However, the phase displacement adds a distortion that musicians know as flanging, most evident on guitar and synthesizer fuzz effects.

There is no analogue electronics solution to this problem, but it might be solved with DSP.

Broadcast audio equipment manufacturers introduced true-mono converters to their catalogues, and it was evident to me which AM stations were using them. The Hallam mono feed was middle-heavy, and I eventually found they used A+B/2 summed mono, which confirmed it.

Other broadcasters, such as BBC mono stations, sounded more natural (within the limited bandwidth). The overseas blocking transmissions of the Wilson era illustrated the hard phasing of stations like Luxembourg and Caroline.

OK, too much information, but justified here, I think.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Speculator66 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speculator66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:40pm
Many thanks Graham
Much of the technical detail was lost on my low relative level of understanding but there was much also that I did understand.

This record is one that I have owned and listened to without such awareness for ca. 40 years using very decent equipment. The fact that I have never noticed these effects before only goes to show what a difference the Accession can make.
I guess that it also means that one might need to be aware when buying such recordings.
I certainly know that I have a few more electronically reprocessed records in my collection.

Thanks again

John
Pjct Xtension9 Superpack, Ortofon Quintet Black, Accession MC, Arcam A39, Celestion 66
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Mono is best left as mono because once it is manipulated to sound stereo, the damage cannot be undone. It cannot be put back to mono by adding left and right...
 Exactly as Graham states, 
It cannot be put back to mono by A+B/2 as in a mono switch.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:07pm
Just about every vinyl record enthusiast has bought an "electronically reprocessed" for stereo record either by chance or accident. 

I tend to avoid them but have bought them before, not knowing that's what they were because different record companies have different names for this sort of stuff. Especially where the record company is not from an English-speaking nation, it can get confusing. 

I bought one reprocessed record from a German label not knowing what it was. I now know to avoid them in the future. 

If you like the album, the best thing to do is to hunt for a true mono or true stereo version of the album (if one exists). 

In some cases a true stereo version may be unavailable. In other cases, a latter day stereo mix may be available if the multitracks were not lost. Latter day stereo mixes are a real mixed bag and I usually don't prefer them to vintage mono mixes. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 11:32pm
Some original recording stereo mixes from mono masters were intentionally done by the original artist as that was a big deal in the 1960's.
 The artist wanted to get the stereo effect, possibly on a shoe-string budget.

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Some original recording stereo mixes from mono masters were intentionally done by the original artist as that was a big deal in the 1960's.
 The artist wanted to get the stereo effect, possibly on a shoe-string budget.

It's easy to forget how big of a deal stereo was when it came out. Obviously I heard stereo recordings first, then mono much later. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic