FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

So which turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:36am
Take a look at Acoustic Signature turntables too.
If the superb performance of their MCX1 cartridge is typical of their products they are worth
serious consideration.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Philmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Philmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:23pm
£4k gets you a very good turntable and the choice is endless, I have had a lot over the past 32 years including Rega, L*nn, Michell, SRM, Avid, Mofi and Nottingham Analogue. My favourite is Nottingham Analogue, I believe it to be the best bang for buck available today but you must audition when possible. Good luck with the search.

Phil
Nottingham Analogue Space 294, Wand+, Hana SH, Slee Accession M, Custom PSE 300B mono blocks, Ascension speakers, Slee Lautus ICs, Atlas Speaker cables.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:53am
Incidentally the RB1000 arm on the Rega P9 was excellent & the latest RB3000 on the P10
should be even better.
The only thing about these arms is the lack of height adjustment & some carts are very sensitive to VTA.
Whether a Series 6 will be significantly better than a RB3000 is a big question, but the Series 6's adjustability is in its favour.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:38pm
Strangely, the TT that was playing when I heard a Slee EGV (many moons ago now) was a Nottingham Analogue. Its a beast of a turntable, and agree that you get a lot for your cash

I am ruling out it though only due to the sheer size of it. Great TT though
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
If I do end up with a P10 then either a Series 6 of an Origin Live Illustrious Arm are on my list to replace the rb3000

Having now used the P10 for a week now with a Reflex C/Enigma with a LOMC Sumiko its sounds very good. I wouldn't say its lean at all just no bloat. It pretty much does everything very well, but have been informed buy another P10 user that adding a Audiomods Series 6 made a massive difference

Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:56pm
Im really liking the P10 now, but disregarding the arms, I wonder how a P10 (TT, plater. PSU) stacks up against an Origin Live TT without the arm

The P10 suits me ie size, separate psu/speed change, cover etc. If the foundations of the P10 are that good and it can be improved considerably by a better arm then its the TT for me. But is it that good?

How would it stack to an Aurora or Calypso (however that is more expensive) with their upgraded platter.

More research me thinks lol
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
The only criticism I ever hear about Rega is that some find their sound a bit lean and lacking in meat but if you're not finding that to be the case then it sounds like you'd be more than happy living with a P10, especially given you have some recommended upgrades to try out.

To be honest (and speaking as an Origin Live owner myself), with Rega's bigger production runs bringing costs down, I wouldn't expect an Origin Live to outdo a Rega at a comparable price point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic