FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

So which turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:44pm
Based on totally unfounded prejudices I would not look at Rega or Project, but I would definitely consider Origin Live, Analogue Works and Inspire HiFi.

I’m also intrigued by Vertere Acoustics’ TTs.

Edited by ICL1P - 19 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:53pm
I have no experience with Origin live turntable. Here in Canada, there is not a lot of dealer around carrying them. But I'd like to listen to one eventually. I also heard good thing about Avid turntable.

A few years back, I had a Rega RP3 and I loved it. When the time came to upgrade, I listened to 2 differents turntables : the Rega RP8 and the Clearaudio concept. I must say that the Clearaudio concept impressed me a lot. I felt that the sound was just right. I got lucky and one dealer offered me a Performance DC (with a clarify tonearm and virtuoso cartridge) at a great price. I bought it and I've been happy with it. I think the Performance DC represent a sweet-spot in the Clearaudio line. You have most of the technology without the price tag. 

The only advice I would give you is to be cautious and to listen to a few differents turntables. So much variables are at play with turntables that comparing them is really hard. Often, you have different cartridges (MM, MC) and different phono being used at each dealers. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:43pm
I think the price category were talking it’s not a case of better or worse, just different. You just need to find the “different” you like. Having said that, I sometimes wonder if I’d chosen a different turntable than the RP8 in the same price category, would I be just as happy? I went listening before I purchased and my head was filled with the relatively small differences between them (I felt cartridges were making a more substantial difference than tables). Maybe they were small enough that after a few weeks I’d have forgotten about them and just gotten on with the job of listening to music.
Who knows?
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:00pm
A little bit out of the blue,but my local dealer had a P10 they just received and brought around at the weekend for me to live with it for a couple of weeks.

I actually like the design. Its quite compact, its heavier than I thought it would be (after all the the things ive read ie feather-light), very well put together and engineered. Looks quite classy

Sound wise its very good however in the back of my mind im thinking of the origin live. After doing some digging, the one to get is the Calypso and Illustrious arm. Its a bit more expensive but not terribly so. But....it sound I really need to upgrade the patter and the arm wire which together is another £1000!!!

I did call OL and he said that he does have customers with P10s and they fit their arms with great results

Chatting with a guy on FB today and he was stating that he has a few turntables and explained that he has a P10 which he though was "ok" until he added an Audiomods Series 6 arm and thinks it is now absolutely stunning. Wipes the floor with his L*nn where the arm was originally fitted. This arm doesn't seem to break the bank either. Anyone here had a Series 6?

So if the the P10 and Series 6 arm (or OL live) is a good combo then it could be the final package. I like the small footprint of the TT and the separate PSU. I am able to try a OL package however it is quite a bit more expensive, then if I really like it but doent want to pay that sort of money I wlll have that "sound" in the back of my mind lol

Edited by vinyljunki - 21 Feb 2021 at 10:43pm
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

A little bit out of the blue,but my local dealer had a P10 they just received and brought around at the weekend for me t live with it for a couple of weeks.

It’s good that you were able to try this in your own room with your own amps, speakers etc.

I find the thought of listening to different TTs in dealers showrooms with a variety of different amps, speakers &c. to be fraught with difficulty. What are you actually hearing? The turntable? The equipment it is attached to? How does that relate to your own environment?

If I was purchasing a new turntable today I would insist on trying it in my own system before making a decision, especially at the sort of price you are contemplating!

Hope you find a TT that makes you happy for a long time to come.

Les

I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:56pm
You might want to keep on eye on Origin Live's ebay account. They've recently introduced the Mk 4 versions of their product range and now seem to be auctioning off some Mk3 stock on ebay.

The listings can be misleading, some seem to suggest that you're bidding on refurbished ex-demo stock or similar but I picked up the Resolution TT and Conqueror tonearm recently for a fraction over half price, and, going by the description, was expecting signs of use, but they turned up, both brand spanking new!
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:42am
Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

This arm doesn't seem to break the bank either. Anyone here had a Series 6?

I use an Audiomods Series 6 on a Roksan TMS & can thoroughly recommend it.
Very well engineered, built and adjustable.

I used to own a Rega P9 & it was a very good deck - if just a touch lean sounding
and sensitive to vibration.
Its ceramic platter has evolved on the P10 & is great engineering.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic